Starting a pico tank

snakeblitz33

A nuvo 8g is $75. I can't build a prettier tank for that cheap. Cutting some holes and doing a little modding shouldn't hurt, yah think? I'm still going to do a little research and figure out what I want.

E

eric b 125

Pico aquariums has an 18" X 18" X 16", black silicone and low iron glass... Personally, if I was going to start a pico tank and modify, I would use something like that: a completely blank canvas rather than something with the limitations of having a rear chamber already installed. JMO.

snakeblitz33

Mr. Aqua has some pretty tanks too. I'm looking at those right now. I will look at the one you recommended in a minute. Thanks for the heads up!

E

eric b 125

I might even do the 18X18X12 w/ a photon 16 as a frag grow-out tank, myself. I'd prefer to have a separate grow out tank and QT: right now I'd be using a 40B for both (obv not simulaneously)

snakeblitz33

I like that site you suggested. Lots and lots of dimensions to choose from. I wonder if they are able to be cut for an overflow system. You think they are using all tempered glass?

E

eric b 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/397427/starting-a-pico-tank/40#post_3543277
I like that site you suggested. Lots and lots of dimensions to choose from. I wonder if they are able to be cut for an overflow system. You think they are using all tempered glass?

My guess is that they aren't using tempered glass. I think they just use thick(er) glass. One reason I think this is that they used the words blank canvas (not that it means anything, though). I just think they would assume that reefers would drill the hell out of a blank canvas, haha

snakeblitz33

I'm currently looking at Pico Aquariums 24x12x12 which is just under 15 gallons and not really "pico" but big enough for maybe one or two small small fish.
Depending on the money, I may be able to build my book case stand sooner rather than later. A glass holes nano overflow is just big enough to fit that tank. I was looking at the new ghost overflow but they currently don't make one to fit small tanks.
I'm getting my Rodi unit fixed in the next couple weeks. The wife and I want to start saving a little money by drinking more water at home.

E

eric b 125

I'm glad that you liked that website, Seth. I hated my glassholes overflows. They were really loud, no matter how much I cut back the flow.

snakeblitz33

Any other suggestions for an overflow box? I was looking for something that is quiet but the ghost overflow takes up a lot of space and is designed for a minimum 1500gph. I just wish there was something smaller that was also quiet.
Any suggestions?
I think I can get a sheet of plywood this Saturday to work on the bookcase. I might have it finished in a couple of weeks. :))

E

eric b 125

I was thinking a narrow 1" coast to coast with external BeanAnimal overflow. You could probably get away with 3/4" front to back. On something that small you could use 3/4" PVC. Put the overflow box off to one side of the tank and you could bring the return straight up the middle and wye it to get even return to both sides of the tank. I think upgrading my glassholes kit to a BeanAnimal overflow was comparable to upgrading to LED's from MH or going from Koralia's to VorTechs... the difference was that big. It was easily one of my favorite upgrades to my 125.

Something you might want to think about despite what overflow you go with, is being able to remove the sides of the shelf that your tank will be on. Maybe inset some rare earth magnets so that section pops right off. Your tank won't sit right up against the back wall of the bookshelf anyways because of the plumbing, so you will have a little extra room back there for storage of a magfloat or food and you'll be able to service the overflows easier. JMO.

snakeblitz33

I am currently considering the 12x12x12 cube. It's about 7 gallons total. It's small enough to enjoy. I think I'm going with a glass holes overflow and an AI Nano Sol LED light. The sump will be a 20g high and will be partitioned off partly for a top off reservoir. The return pump I'm thinking using a quiet one pump again and using a hydor wave maker on the return. The turnover rate with the equipment I want is roughly 35x, so I think I want to keep it minimalist and not add additional powerheads unless absolutely necessary.
Cube: $90
Pump: 45
Bookcase: 150
Sump: 55
Overflow: 45
Plumbing: 20
Glass for sump: 20
Hydor rotating nozzle: $12
AI Nano Sol: 275
Fix RODI: 150
Items on hand:
Silicone
JBJ ATO
Heater
Small skimmer
I figure that small weekly water changes will make up for any deficiencies..

snakeblitz33

Sea cone or something like that. The pump no longer works and has to be replaced. It's not bad but definitely not high end.

snakeblitz33

Ah-oh. My wife wants another baby. Save for diapers and formula instead of aquarium parts. Ah, the humanity!!
The tank is still on though. I'm not giving up that easy.

snakeblitz33

Just one kid, a girl. Her name is Emma and she is two going on twelve. Lol. I guess having it easy for a little while wasn't in the cards. I graduated college but decided to be a taxidermist instead of pursuing a career as a teacher. I'm two years away from running my dad's taxidermy shop. Maybe it will all work out.
This weekend is a cleaning weekend. I want to get my house completely cleaned and prepped for the summer. Finally getting all the crap out of the bedroom and stored. I have to make room for the bookcase. I need to have a garage sale to get rid of some stuff. Just a lot to do to clean and prep the way to getting the stand built. I also need to do some gardening. We had our last little cold snap and I need to get out my tomatoes and peppers. I'm building four new raised beds and adding 20ft of blackberry bushes. Looks like I will be at the same place for a few more years.

snakeblitz33

Looks like I have one more week of saving before I can buy wood to build the book case. I want it to look awesome, since it is such a small tank.
I'm expanding my raised beds this spring as well. I want to add five new beds, one a week. I want to get to the point where I grow nearly all my own veggies and only have to buy organic meats at the store or better yet the farmers market.

E

eric b 125

It's gonna be a cleaning weekend here as well. I just can't believe all the stuff that has piled up over the last decade. I'm throwing stuff out left and right getting ready for this move. I have a bad habit of 'maybe I'll be able to use this later' that i need to break, haha.
May I suggest getting some equipment first and building the book shelf around the tank

snakeblitz33

I guess maybe buying the tank would get me fired up. It would make more sense to build the stand around the tank.