Starting a reef with seahorses

reefcicle

Hi, I'm currently putting together a reef tank, I also want to add seahorses eventually. So it would be specifically seahorses and certain hard and soft corals. I have the correct lighting and a protein skimmer, but due to the fact that seahorses require copepods and amphipods, I'm interested in adding on a refugium, however, I've never worked with these and have no clue about them. If someone could help to inform me about refugiums, seahorses, tips on what is necessary inside the tank, tips on what to put in to make the reef grow, and any ideas at all that may eventually help me I would be most grateful. Thanks everyone!

weberian

If you have so much pods, how many times a day do you think you will get away with feeding (assuming you're feeding live baby brine)??

reefcicle

Well that's the thing, I wanted it to be a self sustained feeding kinda deal and that's why I would create the refugium. Is that possible?

weberian

I wish I knew. There are several people here with some seahorse experience. Keep bumping your post. I don't know if they're fast enough to catch the rock-inhabiting pods that are most common. I wanted to do seahorses but lost interest when I found out 3-times per day feeding.

reefcicle

Yah, I heard seahorses can't live in high water flow tanks because there pretty slow and don't feed to quickly. But I have to learn alot more about these creatures and what kind of setup I need before I feel anywhere near comfortable about adding them.

maxalmon

I think a lot of people have great luck using like 12 or 26g aquapod or biocube type setup for seahorses.

emm0909

Any body read the 2007 annual Marine and Reef USA? There was a good focus on seahorse breading. Check it out!

cgrant

I had a pipe fish in my tank and it did not do well in my reef, it was getting blown all over the tank and couldnt catch any food, I ended up having to take it back to the lfs for an exchange!
IMO...If you want seahorses I would have a dedicated sea horse tank.

lion_crazz

I am sorry to be negative, but seahorses and reefs do not mix well. Seahorses really need a more tranquil tank, and do not want the high water movement that you need for a reef tank. Plus, the horses may end up bothering some corals or vice versa when they try to wrap their tails around the corals (especially the branching stuff).
I agree that a dedicated sea horse tank would be a much better idea.

laddy

The real problem occurs with tank temperature, when mixing corals and seahorses. Seahorses require a below 78 enviornment, otherwise they acquire a type of bacteria which is harmful to their health, as opposed to corals which thrive in temps greater than 78 (for the most part).

rykna

Originally Posted by emm0909
Any body read the 2007 annual Marine and Reef USA? There was a good focus on seahorse breading. Check it out!
Neato!