starting a reef

cjb82

Well, I'm looking into starting a reef and looking for advice so I don't make any mistakes. Looking for beginner additions.
I currently have a 55gal for about 6 months now.
FOWLR
2 tomato clowns
1 coral beauty
2 cleaner shrimp
1 scarlet hermit
2 maxi-jet 900
220watt PC ( 2-10000 and 2 actcinic)
Looking for advice on what to start with?

jonthefb

you might also sit down and consider wht types fo corals you are going to want to keep as the different types might warrant an upgrade in lighting......for most softies/some LPS (large Polyped Stony) what you currently have should be plenty.....however, if you want to keep clams, sps (Small Polyped Stonies) an upgrade to metal halides is a must!
good luck
and like waterfaller said....take your time and go slowly!!!!
jon

iechy

I agree with the above. Start slowly and if you stay with softies, mushrooms, and LPS you have plenty enough light. But be prepared to upgrade because once you get a taste you'll want SPS and clams too. I would also add some more water flow.

cjb82

anyone else care to give any advice,looking into a toadstool leather and a green star polyp.

iechy

Those are excellent starter corals. In fact the same ones I started with. You have plenty enough lighting for either and both are pretty easy to care for with DT's or microvert or something. Good luck.