Starting a sump

lurch694u

Hey guys I was wondering about any good plans on sumps...
I think i'm going to do the 20 gallon rubbermaid container with a hang on overflow... Can someone explain how the overflow works... I know it is siphon feed to the sump but how do you keep the return pump from overflowing the tank and overflow???
Ok someone explain in detail becuse I am dumb :p

david s

the way a overflow box works is there is a box outside the tank filled with water and water inside the tank were water seeks its own level the U tube when placed between the two bodies of water it flows. it is not siphoned rather pushed by the presure of water riseing in the main tank

broomer5

If you select an overflow and return pump that are right for each other - it's really pretty simple.
The overflow must be able to handle all the water that the return pump pumps up to the tank.
If the overflow is rated for say 700 gph, then the return pump must not be able to pump more than 700 gph ( at the installed head pressure or distance from the return pump to the spraybar fitting up in the top of the tank ).
Some people will install a ball valve on the return line, so they can adjust this flow too.
So if the overflow can take the 700 gph - then as the water is pumped up to the tank, the level rises up, the water falls over the teeth of the inner box, up through the U tube over the edge of the tank, down to the outer box, and then gravity falls down to the sump.
It's just a continuous loop.
What goes up - must come down.
The display tank water level remains at a constant level - a level that is determined by how far the inner box's slotted teeth are located in relation to the height of the tank.
Slip the inner box down, and the water level will go down and remain at this point.
Raise the inner box ( teeth ) up and the display tank water level will now rise to this new established height.
That's how it works ;)