Starting my 12g JBJ deluxe

logicalent

I have decided to get into the saltwater tank scene after seeing my friend's father's 75gallon reef tank. As far as my choice for a tank is concerned, through much research I have come to the conclusion that a 12g JBJ nano deluxe will be the right tank to start with- you know, baby steps. That being decided, I have some questions:
- Once I get the tank, most obviously I will need both live rock and sand....what type of live rock (Ive seen Fiji, Fiji Premium, Tonga, etc. on the net) and sand should I get? Do I cyce to tank for 4-6 weeks after putting rock/sand in before adding any fish?
- Should I get a cleaner crew for the tank while the rock/sand is being cured?
- If I get "pre-cured" rock can i simply throw it in, make it how I like it and get started adding critters and corals?
I also have loads of other questions, but these are the most prominent at the moment. Thanks for anything you guys can give me as far as getting the tank started and getting into the hobby.
The Dude
PS: Forgot to mention I plan on eventually moving up to a bigger tank after I get the hang of it- thought it would be easier on a smaller scale than a larger one you know?

littleliza

it's suppose to be easier to keep a larger tank, actually, because it's easier to keep all of your levels safe in a big tank. The same amount of a harmful substance will be a lot less dangerous if diluted in a larger amount of water than a small amount of water, so the bigger the better. The main plus with a smaller tank is they are usually less expensive. I just got a 12 gallon nano deluxe, too. I'm cycling about 10 lbs. of fiji live rock and 20 lbs. of aragonite live sand right now... it's my first attempt at a reef, too. I've heard you should have about 1.5 lbs. of live rock per gallon of water, but I don't know if I'd be able to fit in that much, I suppose the density of your rock allows for variance. Live rock is a good natural filter. I've also heard some people mention taking out the bio balls and ceramic from the jbj deluxes for reef tanks... it's something you might want to explore further. I haven't taken mine out yet, but I've heard of people replacing them with live rock rubble. Good luck with the new tank, and I'd be interested to hear how things go for you. :)

masala4080

- Once I get the tank, most obviously I will need both live rock and sand....what type of live rock (Ive seen Fiji, Fiji Premium, Tonga, etc. on the net) and sand should I get?
Any live rock will do and all holds bacteria which is what you are looking for. The main difference is just where the rock is located. With this being said... live rock from one part of the world might have different stuff than the other. IMO its just a matter of what you think looks the best in your tank, I actually bought nano live rock for my 12 gal. Nanocube. The Nano live rock is just smaller peices. Any type aragonite sand will do. Since you are getting live rock, live sand will not be needed since the bacteria will travel down into the sand, making it "alive".
Do I cyce to tank for 4-6 weeks after putting rock/sand in before adding any fish?
Put the live rock and sand in the tank and let the tank cycle 4 to 6 weeks or so like you said before adding any other fish. Do not add any fish until all ammonia and nitrite levels are at zero. If you are still a little confused about this do a search on this site for 'cycle'. There is tons of info.
Should I get a cleaner crew for the tank while the rock/sand is being cured?
Once again, get the cleaners till after the tank has cycled. This way the poor water quality wont kill them all off.
If I get "pre-cured" rock can i simply throw it in, make it how I like it and get started adding critters and corals?
Pre-cured live rock might make the cycle quicker but might not eliminate one completely. In most cases, through shipping and / or purchasing some of the bacteria and organisms will actually die off, causing a source of ammonia which will start a cycle. Just make sure to test your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels frequently to see if you are having a cycle.
I also have loads of other questions, but these are the most prominent at the moment. Thanks for anything you guys can give me as far as getting the tank started and getting into the hobby.
No problem. Its great to share info to other keepers! I am actually in the process of cycling my nano right now. A couple more weeks now and I will add some cleaners and maybe a fish. Take it slow in the begining, especially in smaller tanks like these NanoCubes.

logicalent

Thanks for your input. As far as the size of the tank is concerned I am aware of the difference in the effects of various levels on a smaller tank as opposed from a larger tank. The main thing that sent me towards the smaller tank was the cost of the live parts of the tank- it would be cheaper to get a smaller tank and build it up from there than get a larger tank. I am a chemist so you can guess that I will prolly be checking the levels way to often to begin with, so I figured that it wouldnt matter if I had a smaller or larger tank. Other than that though, thanks for the input. I do have a question though- if I get just live rock, then would it matrter if I get the live sand or not? The reason I ask if because my friend's father has said I could take some of his sand to get my tank started. I assume that no matter what the bacteria on the rocks or sand is not really a matter as the one which works best in my tank will eventually take it all over. Anyway, Ill keep posting questions and whatnot as well as pictures once I get the rocks how I like them and the tank started on cycling.