starting my 75 GAL in-wall (pics)

biotank14

Just started building a room in my garage for our 75 GAL tank. We've had our 75 GAL Oceanic for about 2 years now, running, but we are moving it out into this room and updating with new lights, more liverock, and buying a 55 gallon to upsize our fuge a little. We will keep updating this as it comes along. Soon we will have a nice clean in-wall tank to fill a bare wall in our living room. Keep checking for updates, and comments are welcome!!

acrylic51

Very nice work....I love garage builds myself
One thing I would suggest and you might have already been planning it with your build is that I see that you already have your tank platform in place with the back legs, but I would suggest that you add "cripple" studs to the rear supports. I only suggest that to get away from relying solely on mechanical fastners to support the weight of the tank.
Have you thought about temp control or humidity control in the fish room? I love the weather in Florida. I visit quite regularly since my wife's uncle lives in Pompano Beach. Keep the updates coming!!!!!!!!!

biotank14

Ya if you look in a couple pics you can see my air handler in the back im just coming off the outlet with like a 4" flex vent into the room with a closeable vent.. as far as the stand im not done yet will post pics tommorow.. going to get drywall and insulation tommorow.

6stokes

Awesome work! My only question is how the heck you gonna change out that water heater when it goes bad?
Okay, I lied, one more question. Are you going to similate wave action by drilling the sides of your tank?

biotank14

The heater no problem ill just take the bench down plus im a plumber
...as far as drilling the tank not really..lol sorry

6stokes

Hey, one step at a time right? Maybe down the road sometime. Can't wait to see more on the progression...

biotank14

Almost done with filter, going to put one line into the tank for top-offs and another below into a garbage can for water changes.

here's my insulation ..

here's the room light and right behind it you can see silver duct in the back. thats where I'm cutting a 4 inch flex pipe to go in my room.

biotank14

no but it comes pre plumbed with copper fiitting tying the two filters together. is that bad i was going to ask.. i dont see how it can matter when there are people who have their whole house ran in copper?