Starting my first 20 gal. long sump/refuge.

latda

I have had my 55 gal. set up for over a year, it has a built in sump in the back of the tank but want to take the step twards a seperate sump/refuge. my first question would be is my Rio 1700 pump/powerhead is going to be stong enuff to push the water from the sump up 4 feet threw the u-bend and into the tank and still have good force to push the water in my display tank. i will document my progress when i start and ANY feedback would be great.

toddv89

i would say you would be fine with using that power head im using a submersable pump rated at 500 gph on my sump and my return flow is still pretty good and it takes the water straight up about 3 or 4 feet. not sure how many gph i or you will lose by pumping that water uphill but there are ways of calculating it if you wanted to take the time to do so.

xandrew245x

That pump will be able to push 4 feet of height, but you will only be moving about 350 gph. If you want more flow then that, I would go with a bigger pump. I have a 75 gallon setup with a sump underneath, its about a 4-5' push, I have a 950 gph pump, and it creates a lot of flow. I think though, you would be fine with that, as long as you used plenty of powerheads to keep the flow going in your tank. Remember you want 20X turnover of flow in your tank!

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/390342/starting-my-first-20-gal-long-sump-refuge#post_3456059
That pump will be able to push 4 feet of height, but you will only be moving about 350 gph. If you want more flow then that, I would go with a bigger pump. I have a 75 gallon setup with a sump underneath, its about a 4-5' push, I have a 950 gph pump, and it creates a lot of flow. I think though, you would be fine with that, as long as you used plenty of powerheads to keep the flow going in your tank. Remember you want 20X turnover of flow in your tank!
Rio pumps are not very good for return pumps. Rio pumps have a tendency to loose polarity really easily and end up not spinning the impeller. The pump will turn on, but it won't push water. Rio pumps are notorious for this.
Please consider getting a Mag Drive 5 for your size tank. It's small, reliable and will get the job done.
The answer also depends on the max flow of your overflow box. External overflow boxes should have close to the max amount of flow being pushed through it for the overflow box to never loose siphon. Internal overflow box return rates depend on how much the internal overflow can drain, with no minimum. Unlike external overflow boxes.
You do want 20x turnover in the tank, but not through your sump. 5x - 10x is fine going through the sump. But, your aquarium should have a minimum of 20x the volume of your tank in turnover by internal powerheads. (75g aquarium should have minimum 1500gph internal flow = 20x turnover)

xandrew245x

I am in the process of building my refuge, I have pictures, if you want to see the progress of it for ideas, my thread is called 75 gallon tank build