Starting my first saltwater tank, need help

CC426

Hey all, I would like to start a saltwater tank in my old 12 gallon JBJ nanocube. I know these tanks have a bit on controversy surrounding them due to shoddy build quality, but I have no concerns about mine, I used it for a good 5 years as a freshwater tank for tropical fish (such as Tetras, Danios, Guppies, etc), and had no issues with leaks or anything of that kind. It has sat empty for quite a few years, and I've decided it's time to try out some saltwater fish. The tank's actual space (in regards to "swimming room") is 10 gallons, as the other 2 gallons are within the filter. I'd like to have live rock in this tank, and I figured I'd start with Ocellaris Clownfish, Firefish, Dottybacks, etc.

For a tank of this size, how much live rock is recommended? Are there any other fish that could be recommended for beginners? How does one set up a filter differently for saltwater vs freshwater? What heater wattage?

I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, but at the same time, I don't want to skimp on crucial components. Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Shilpan

Hello!
There are more experienced members here than myself. I've just set up my 400L reeftank with some clowns, so I'll tell you what I know and we can go from there :)

1) most people keep 1 pound per gallon. But they tend to add more rock sometimes as they want more coral. I personally have 1/2 a pound per gallon. In future I will be adding biomedia to make up for this deficit if I have water quality problems. At the moment with a refugium, only 2 fish and a coral, my water is good.

2) From my research I found that clowns, firefish, Bengali cardinals, chromis (if good water), blenny's and fire gobies are all good starter fish. For a tank your size I think you'll only want 2, maybe 3 SMALL fish max. The other members will have make expert advice based on their experiences. My clowns are awesome.

3) The rock act as the main filter since the bacteria grow on it. I dont have much experience with small tanks but I know that for those, people run canister filters and polyspun filters on them. They often add small bags of activated carbon (for water clarity), or Gfo (to remove phosphates). Some add on external hang on skimmers or reactors if they need heavier filtration.

4) heater wattage is 1W = 1 LITRE

5) personally I have learnt that you should buy good quality BASICS first. So heater, lights, canister filter, rock, sand if you want, salt mix, test kits, cleaning equipment.

Then only add more stuff as you need it. So I've been going for a week now with fish, no reactors or algae scrubbers or UV sterilizers or other fancy stuff on mine. Including cycling my tank has been up for over a month. I can add fancy stuff, later as I need it if i want. But better to get the basics, maintain the tank for as long as you can with simple equipment. If you start overstocking or keeping hard corals or feed heavily or don't water change regularly then you'lol find yourself needing to get more equipment. So go slow, and you'll space out your savings :) I'm finding my nitrates still going down to 10-20ppm. I'm watching my feeding, water changing now weekly, and pruning my macroalgae regularly. I do those things to save money on excess equipment.

Please ask if you have any questions. I've just bought everything over the past 3 months and I know it's goddamn expensive, but boy seeing my clowns, it's worth it. Oh lastly double check you have time to do tank maintance.

one-fish

Welcome,
Fairly new to the hobby and still cycling my tank, no fish yet just a couple snails and hermit crabs. Best advise I can give is Knowledge. Do a lot of research look at multiple sources and make your own decision before you do anything. Take Your Time don't expect for things to happen over night. Be observant of what is going on in your tank and ask questions this is why this site is here, I have found members here to be experienced and eager to help. Good Luck....

beaslbob

I like the idea of starting a new saltwater tank with macro algaes right from the start. For much the same reasons as FW planted tanks.

I think you may be wanting a few too many fish for a 12g.

Finally, I recommend you use a common FW male molly to start off the tank with. If you can acclimate it to full marine and get it to live for a few weeks, you are well on your say to a successful tank.

Still that's all just my .02

jay0705

12 gal maybe 2 very small fish. Honestly your short changing yourself with sw with such a small tank. But about 10lbs of lr is a good start

flower

Hey all, I would like to start a saltwater tank in my old 12 gallon JBJ nanocube. I know these tanks have a bit on controversy surrounding them due to shoddy build quality, but I have no concerns about mine, I used it for a good 5 years as a freshwater tank for tropical fish (such as Tetras, Danios, Guppies, etc), and had no issues with leaks or anything of that kind. It has sat empty for quite a few years, and I've decided it's time to try out some saltwater fish. The tank's actual space (in regards to "swimming room") is 10 gallons, as the other 2 gallons are within the filter. I'd like to have live rock in this tank, and I figured I'd start with Ocellaris Clownfish, Firefish, Dottybacks, etc.

For a tank of this size, how much live rock is recommended? Are there any other fish that could be recommended for beginners? How does one set up a filter differently for saltwater vs freshwater? What heater wattage?

I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, but at the same time, I don't want to skimp on crucial components. Any help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Hi,

The smaller the tank, the harder to keep it stable. It costs the same amount of money to set up a 10g as it does a 30g.... Saltwater critters are a whole world of difference from freshwater fish. They are meaner than you can imagine... and most, even tiny SW fish need a 20g to 30g tank.

CC426

Sorry about the late response;

I guess I worded that a bit strangely, I know I shouldn't have more than 1 or 2 fish in that tank, I was just throwing ideas. As for the tank size, I'm working with what I already have and what I have space for, time is not much of an issue though.

As for the filter situation, this is an all in one tank (hence the 12g but 10g total swimming room)

Shilpan

Consider biomedia in your filter area if it fits. Maximizing biofiltration to help stabilize your tank.

Lapang

just my .02, firefish first, then 1 ocellaris, then maybe 1 small banggai or pyjama cardinal.....no dottybacks

Shilpan

Question, why firefish before clown? Is the firefish hardier? I ask because that or a lawnmower blenny will be my next fish.

jay0705

Clowns can get territorial, fire fish are very passive. That said,my clowns where my first fish. They never bother new fish

lmforbis

I agree with Jay. After firefish and small clown you are maxed out at that point. Personally I'd say no clown, maybe a clown goby but clowns need more space especially if there are other fish in there. 10 gallons is not adequate for any cardinal and skip the lawnmower blenny. Again not enough room or space for algae to grow. They can starve to death in small tank.

Lapang

yeah, lawnmower blenny gets big, but i think if u really want a blenny (bcos they have such personality), u can go with the small tailspot blenny or two spot blenny. And even for those, u need to grow some algae first...