starting new 55 gl. should I use cured or uncured??

lennon

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
I used uncured rock in my tank. My tank is in my bedroom and the smell was sort of unpleasant for about 2-3 weeks. It wasn't nausiating, but it is definately a smell that I am glad that I don't have to have around anymore.
Uncured rock is 1/2 to 2/3rds cheaper than cured rock, and it contains material useful for feeding your initial cycle....so uncured is better economically and biologically for a new tank.

Do you think the fact that i will have a canopy will help keep it in there?

mudplayerx

Back when I first started my tank I used the glass canopies. There is like a 3 inch space in the back where the canopy doesn't cover the tank and this was more than enough room for it to stink. It was bearable, just unpleasant. Funny thing is for about a month, wherever I went I could swear that I smelled uncured live rcok.
ps- You might want to consider losing the glass canopy. It inhibits heat and gas dissipation, which can lead to overheating and less than perfect water quality. Not to mention, canopies get salt creep which is a complete pain to constantly clean. More water will evaporate each day without a canopy, but I think the tradeoff is well worth it. Just make sure that none of your critters are prone to jump.

willcon

you mean have no glass or acrylic tops on the top of the tank? just have nothing inbetween the water and lights? thats interesting i have noticed that they get pretty dirty quick and i was thinking of removing it but i was afraid it would affect the canopy and/or my lighting system.
And for lennon i highly reccomend ASM protien skimmers, they are very effecient and very inexpensive! also i would highly reccomend the use of a sump/refugium, it is a great place to add macroalgae, deep sand bed, mangroves, heaters , skimmers, etc etc
makes for an overall better looking and operating display tank

mudplayerx

I have pendant lighting fixtures which makes it easy to not have a glass canopy. Can you put a picture of your lighting setup or at least describe it in detail so people here can give you opinions on whether you can do without a canopy safely please?

willcon

i have a wooden canopy with a cf and mh lights in it, its about 12 inches from the surface. i have 2 acrylic tops on the tank. i hope that was a sufficient description.

mikeyjer

IMO I use glass top for my tanks cause of my other pets. I have a VERY hairy dog (Siberian Husky) and a large parrot (Blue & Gold Macaw). I DUST the house ALL the time and they're still everywhere, dog hair and bird dander. I DON'T want all that stuffs landing in my tank.

mudplayerx

Twelve inches from the water is more than enough space to safely remove your canopy. However, make sure that you have splash guards on your metal halides.

lennon

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Back when I first started my tank I used the glass canopies. There is like a 3 inch space in the back where the canopy doesn't cover the tank and this was more than enough room for it to stink. It was bearable, just unpleasant. Funny thing is for about a month, wherever I went I could swear that I smelled uncured live rcok.
ps- You might want to consider losing the glass canopy. It inhibits heat and gas dissipation, which can lead to overheating and less than perfect water quality. Not to mention, canopies get salt creep which is a complete pain to constantly clean. More water will evaporate each day without a canopy, but I think the tradeoff is well worth it. Just make sure that none of your critters are prone to jump.
Its an oceanic wood canopy. are you talking about something different?
This canopy is basically to hide the lights and such. I truly do not like seeing the hanging lights on top. So that is why i am going to get the wood canopy.
I hope that does not become a problem...