starting new tank

lubeyift

Hi all. I'm getting ready to start my new tank. I got some live reef sand, Should it be rinsed before putting it in the tank?

tinysmajick

I wouldn't. I would think that it would rinse away alot of the bacteria and stuff that you need.
Not completely sure though.

michaeltx

nope never rinse Live sand it will kill the bacteria.
also dont go by the bag if thats the tyoe it wont give you an instant cycle its very misleading!!! !
mike

lubeyift

.....also I have have another question. My tank is 29 gallons. Do I need a protien skimmer? Is a power head a good idea?
Lubey

michaeltx

yes and yes.
skimmers help remove protein buildup and will help in algae and other nasty water issues in the tank. once you see one working and pulling stuff out of the water you will deffinately agree that its a good thing to have no matter what size tank you have.
the powerhead keeps the water moving you want a target of 10 times the tank volume per hour and try to eliminate dead spots in the tank so I would go for about 3-4 smaller powerheads instead of one larger one.
Mike

michaeltx

take your time nothing but trouble comes fast in this hobby. dont rush and reasearch fish and invert purcahses before hand.
buy the best equipment that you can the cheaper models m ay save you money to start but in the long run you will have to replace it or upgrade you will end up spending more on it than you wanted./
lastly have fun with it and dont foget saltwaterfish.com we are here to help
mike

triga22

Works great. If you want to go cheaper use the coralife super skimmer 65. I have it on my 29 and it works great.

michaeltx

never used it have heard mixed reveiws on it aswell. do a search in the box on the top right and read some posts from people that have asked or asked about them.
mike