starting out

joncat24

as far as test kits go...I use the seachem master reef test. those and the salifert test's are about the most recomended from what I have read on here. I was gonna try to make some rock but the curing process and the worry about leaching phophates kinda turned me off on that idea, plus with the amount of rock u need for a pod I wouldn't mess with it....the live rock looks more natural to me. but that is just my opinion and you know what those are like>>>LOL

aceheart

i picked up my aquapod earlier today with 40lbs of LS and Oceeanic natural sea salt mix from the LFS.40lbs of sand is almost too much it looks but it gives me about 4 inches or so of sand bed which i have heard is a good thing.....
mixing the salt isnt as hard as i thought it would be either, just got to run to Wal-Mart to get a 25 foot drop cord and a good surge protector :joy:

so far i spent $315 on the tank, sand, salt mix and a hydrometer. going to let the tank run for about a week with nothing else in it and check and see if i need anything else when i get the test kit.
the LFS i bought everything at has "dead rock" for roughly $2 per lb and im wondering if it is safe to use that rock or just go ahead and get live rock...
and another question about the rock, im heading to the beach this weekend coming and was wondering of the rock in the water would be good to use in an aquarium and would i need to wash it off with fresh water or rinse it off in the ocean before i box it up to bring home

joncat24

dont use any rock you get off of the beach..it will be contaminated . also you could use some base rock and some live to help with cost. the live rock will seed the base rock over time and it will all be live. just picture the pieces fitting together in your head wnat you want it to look like and then stack it up. Just make sure it is not going to fall. :happyfish

aceheart

only problem with the dead rock is he only sells it in 40lb boxes loland i just measured my LS bed is just a little over 3 inches deep but the water is real cloudy which i expected that until everything settles down some lol
i figured that on the ocean rocks that i can see while diving or snorkling around near the beach, but i am hoping to catch some hermit crabs to put in my tank.... not sure what else i may find easily catchable while im there this time

aceheart

im hoping wild hermit crabs and snails will be fine in the tank. anyone got any suggestions for using anything else from the ocean, like driftwood or something like that? i dont have much money left right now to go buy the LR and hoping i can do something a little cheaper :notsure: :happyfish