Starting over...what suggestions do you have?

mr. limpid

My wish list: large tank to hold all the tangs I want which is pretty much every tang in the ocean. A large sump with compartments for: protein skimmer; heater; algae scrubber; refug; return pump; auto top off. A mixing tank that is connected to my tank with pumps for water changes. An drain plug on DT, to do water changes. A room built just for fish tanks that has 3 walls of tanks minimum 10' long with a swivel chair in middle with built in stereo. You asked for what I wished for. lol

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjlovesbaskets http:///t/392352/starting-over-what-suggestions-do-you-have#post_3483153
Several years ago I lost my 125 gallon ( mostly fish but some coral) tank in an ice storm. 5 days without power. Because we were trying to sell our home and my equipment needed updated I never started over. We've moved and I am ready to start again. Please post suggestions for must have things to have in my new set up. Not fish and coral recommendations but equipment recommendations. I wanna hear about what you love, wish you had or not to get. Please share why. There are so many ways to set up a tank and I'd like to hear what you think is an ideal setup. I had a non drilled tank with a fluval fx filter. I would ideally want a tank on the main floor with the filtration set up in the basement but could be convinced otherwise.
..... a backup battery and/or a generator........ I think you know why.......

Loving that wall to wall tank room!!!!It's been awhile since I've been on this forum. What is DT? I am assuming the mixing tank would be for the new salt water going in, right? Do they make a reliable battery operated backup power supply for outages? My old house had an invisible fence with a battery backup that recharged itself when the power came back on. I'd want on of those for sure!

sweat90lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392352/starting-over-what-suggestions-do-you-have#post_3483164
My wish list: large tank to hold all the tangs I want which is pretty much every tang in the ocean. A large sump with compartments for: protein skimmer; heater; algae scrubber; refug; return pump; auto top off. A mixing tank that is connected to my tank with pumps for water changes. An drain plug on DT, to do water changes. A room built just for fish tanks that has 3 walls of tanks minimum 10' long with a swivel chair in middle with built in stereo. You asked for what I wished for. lol
I am so new to this I have a hard time thinking that big. LOL. but now... a room that has a tank around all four walls with the only break big enough for a doorway. Ill stop now because I cannot imagine the cost and maintenance.
I wish I had planned a mixing station and auto top off for mine now. A sump setup would be nice too, but it would have to be in the stand, I dont have a basement or ever seen one.

geridoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392352/starting-over-what-suggestions-do-you-have#post_3483242
I am so new to this I have a hard time thinking that big. LOL. but now... a room that has a tank around all four walls with the only break big enough for a doorway. Ill stop now because I cannot imagine the cost and maintenance.
I wish I had planned a mixing station and auto top off for mine now. A sump setup would be nice too, but it would have to be in the stand, I dont have a basement or ever seen one.
Forget the break big enough for a doorway - a trapdoor in the ceiling works, and adds another 36" of tank in the wall. But seriously...I like the idea of putting your equipment in the basement and your DT on the first floor. Just don't underestimate the size of the sump since it seems that almost daily I want to add some piece of equipment to mine, and I'm plain out of room in there. That makes maintenance a chore as well. What kind of display tank (DT) are you planning - FO or reef? That will dictate for you what equipment you will need. What size DT? At the very least, regardless of the type of DT, plan on a mixing tank, a reservoir tank for RODI, a RODI system and either a sump/refugium or a wet/dry filter (or a combination of both) return pumps for the sump and for the mixing tank (to circulate water during mixing, and to deliver the fresh saltwater to your DT without your having to carry buckets up the stairs). Find the largest skimmer you can, then reject it and keep looking for a bigger one
. Get the JBJ ATO system because you can replace their small pump (which won't pump make-up water from your basement reservoir to the DT) with a larger pump (I use a Mag 7.5 which can deal with a 10 foot head). That's just my $.02 - I'm sure others here will have different ideas, but having just finished a 220 gallon installation a few months ago, that's what I wish I had done (I actually did about 75% of that, but not perfect). Good luck!