Starting OverHELP!!

chadman

I am going to be starting my tank over after the crash the other day from the storm.....
what is the best way to go about this? my tank had hundreds of stalks of xenia so as you can imagine it is a gross gooey stinky mess!! I am thinking of just going at it tommorow with a shop vac and just dumping everything into the woods including the substrate....what should i do with the rock? i was thinking of putting it into some tubs with powerheads and my lights and trying to bring it back to life...is this a good idea?
i have power back so please help me...when i first started years back i didn't ask first and i ran into sooo many obstacles...so if anyone could help save me a headache i would appreciate it....
THanks!!

t316

sounds like you have the right idea...ditch it all except the rock. Save that no matter what it looks like.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by chadman
I am going to be starting my tank over after the crash the other day from the storm.....
what is the best way to go about this? my tank had hundreds of stalks of xenia so as you can imagine it is a gross gooey stinky mess!! I am thinking of just going at it tommorow with a shop vac and just dumping everything into the woods including the substrate....what should i do with the rock? i was thinking of putting it into some tubs with powerheads and my lights and trying to bring it back to life...is this a good idea?
i have power back so please help me...when i first started years back i didn't ask first and i ran into sooo many obstacles...so if anyone could help save me a headache i would appreciate it....
THanks!!
I would throw everything out but the LR. Dead stuff could come out of the substarate for eons. I would take the rock and scub it in a bucket, rinse and put it back in the tank along with new live sand and fill and wait. Still there should be enough dye off left to start the cycle. Now is a good time to plan some of the rock work and powerhead placement. There is a lot of cool things you can do with PVC piping attached to a hidden power head ect...
Mc

chadman

the rock is still purple...i don't know if coraline would die and remain purple or if it would turn white when its dead....

t316

Do you think there is any life left in the rocks? If so, lights/ph's/etc might would be useful. But all life is probably dead. Soak the lr in the tubs w/ flow until u r ready to start over.

chadman

i am thinking of doing it right this time around, setting up a refugium and the whole nine...also now is as good a time as ever to upgrade my tank...so we will see...i just don't want to jump into anything...i'll prolly give my rock a chance to cure for a while then get the sand....or maybe i will get a bucket and put sand in it so that i can move it easily to a new tank..i could do that right...jsut keep the bucket under water?

t316

i am thinking of doing it right this time around, setting up a refugium and the whole nine...also now is as good a time as ever to upgrade my tank...so we will see...i just don't want to jump into anything...i'll prolly give my rock a chance to cure for a while then get the sand....or maybe i will get a bucket and put sand in it so that i can move it easily to a new tank..i could do that right...jsut keep the bucket under water?
Are you talking about your old sand?

chadman

no no..i mean buying say just a bag or two and sticking it in a bucket then dropping it into my tank with the rock and letting it become alive...

t316

no no..i mean buying say just a bag or two and sticking it in a bucket then dropping it into my tank with the rock and letting it become alive...
Sounds like the best decision. I would throw all of the old sand out.