starting reef tank

nicescallop

I am starting a reef sa and wondered if this list was good.
1 cleaner wrasse
1 lawnmower blennie
1-2 clownfish
5 green chromis damselfish
5 scarlet reef hermits
5 emerald crabs
5 blueleg hermits
5 turbo snails
5 peppermint shrimp
1 sea cucumber
1 feather duster
1 anenome
15< pounds of live rock
I don't know what type of anenome, cucumber or clownfish because i will just get that from my lfs along with the live rock. In case you haven't noticed i am getting the fives viraty invert package so i'll take the duster that comes with that. oh yeah,
tank: 35 gal hex
lighting: 1 15 watt 50/50 bulb
filtration : 1 fluva 304
heating: 1 125 watt ebo-jager
(should i get a power head?)
:confused: :confused: :confused: null

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You need more lighting, especially with a deep hex, and, yes, get powerhead[strike].[/strike]

kappadoku

I personally feel like 5 emerald crabs are too much for 35 gallons, maybe trade 1 or 2 out for more blue and scarlet hermits.

S

slk3599

If you are planning on keeping anemones, any kind of corals you are going to have to get alot more light than you have. You are going to need Very High Output or Metal Halides or Power compact lighting. Normal output lighting like you have won't keep an anemone alive.
Sad to say, but lighting is one of the most expensive parts of setting up a reef tank.
But it's the one thing you can not skimp on.
Also,I suggest you stay away from the cleaner wrasse, they can be difficult to keep alive with the few fish that you will have in a 35g tank. Go with cleaner shrimp instead.
HTH
[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: slk3599 ]

tonka

Certain anomies need certain lighting needs. Type in the anomies name in the search bar and you'll find it...

nicescallop

ok... umm ok. so your saying i should drop the anenome fine. Does any one know if it's ok to have certin clownfish with out anenomes because my lfs can make special orders. well they did it once for me anyway. oh and by the way i wont need more lighting because its around the corner from my frog (NEEDS A 75-60 WATT BULB, LIKE THE KIND ONE WOULD PUT IN A LAMP)tank, AND my fresh water aqua, PLUS it's im my room where the lights are always on, so it gets light enough from other sorces, but i have to see.
Are you sure i can't keep a cleaner wrasse? :(

Ok with the clown and no anenome, no one can gurantee a clown will go for any specific anenome,case in piont we have a clarkie clown and tomato clown, 5 anenomes and only the clarkie will host the carpet anenomes, the tomato has other choices and has no admeration for a anenome, he actually hangs around are goniporia. and for the light not being a problem? if that frog light can penatrate into your tank I feel you are going to have a algea problem and, you will probly have to move it or shield the tank..just my 2 ;)

its okay to have a clown with out an ammone(some feel that there less aggressive with out an anenome to call a home) , i have a true percula clown and no corals at all and hes doing fine.
as far as the lighting 15 watts from your tank i dont think will even come close to being enough, 15 watts of light and you have to take into conseridation hight , so youll lose the intensity, but then you said you have a frog light thats 65 watts or so, now i see how your thinking about haveing the wattage of light for your tank but what im thinking is what color of light it is, if its made for fish tanks and has a certin spectum on it then i think it would be okay, but if it is just a light like i screw into my lamp next to the computer it defintally wont be benefital
the lights are always on in your room???? although it wont help any i just had to think about that for a sec and wonder what the electricy bill is?
goodluck
allan

dseiler

You should have more LR than that. I hate to bring up the whole rule of thumb arguement again, but you should really have at least 1 lb per gal. Preferably 1.5-2.
HTH

trj

I'm sorry you don't have enough light, even in your room to light your aquarium, if you plan to have corals. I had to bite the bullet and buy upgraded lighting, and it hurt, but at least my corals won't die. :rolleyes:

nicescallop

i am not really thinking of having many (if any) corals and i forgot to say i anned lots of shells on the bottom and thay are BIG , clam, oyster, hudge barnicles and with the live rock, my lfs has tank safe plastic coral and i said AT LEAST 15 pounds so i'm covered.
NEW LIST
1 PECULA? (spelling?) clownfish
1 lawnmower blennie
5 green chromis damselfish
5 scarlet reef hermits
2 emarld crab
1 sally lightfoot crab
5 blue lag hermits 5 turbo snails
2 bumble bee snails
5 peppermint shrimp
1 cucumber
1 sea fan
all the equipment is the same but i will get a powerhead and no more comments on lighting, should i put the sea fan ontop the live rock, near the powerherd or away from it?

-shawn-

I hate to say it, put every body is right about the lighting. And depending on what type of corals you are planning on getting I would consider dropping the bumble bee snails . They tend eat away at things like yellow star polyps. And be careful with the cucumber because when they die the can reck havack on a tank.

nicescallop

thanks h2o boy, should i get some mexican turbos instead? (boo hoo the bubble bees looked cooler) and by the way, cucumbers get all the bad rep - it the SEA APPLES that have the poison so i got that covered. i know about the lighting and i'll see what i can do but what corals should i get, i thought about leather coral but then again i am no expert? :confused:

tang

Leather corals are an excellent choice for your first coral. They will fare quite well given high water quality and moderate lighting. Make sure to place it higher up on your rockwork to guarantee the best spectrum possible if you plan to go with the lower light output. Hard corals are out of the question for your lighting description. Keep in mind the better your lighting the better the animal will look, and grow. They do incredible under metal hallides. Lighting maintains the animals zooxanthallae which it needs to live. :D