starting up a 55g

dperna

Oceanic 58 gallon FOWLR
36" long, 18" deep and 18" tall
ok this list keeps changing but how does this sound:
1 Lemonpeel Dwarf Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)
1 Blackback Butterfly fish (Chaetodon melannotus)
1 Filamented Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus filamentous)
2 Ocellaris Anemone fish aka Anemone fish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
as for inverts:
Scarlet Hermit Crab:10
Blueleg Hermit Crab:10
Nasssarius Snail:10
Brittle Starfish:1
Coral Banded Shrimp:1
Emerald Crab:3
Turbo/Astrea Snail:20
Cleaner Clam:1
thanks in advance :happyfish

dperna

my first list was:
1 Lemonpeel Dwarf Angelfish (Centropyge flavissima)
1 Blackback Butterfly fish (Chaetodon melannotus)
1 Maroon clown Fish
2 small schooling fish, but i dont know if it would fit due to the maroons full growth( i really wanted the filamented flasher wrasses here)

the only thing i would watch is the crab i have a crab and it started eating my nemos so i had to take it back so just watch out for the fish from the crab

dperna

the blue/scarlet or the emerald? because i have some blue/scarlet already and they seem to do no harm

Originally Posted by DPerna
the blue/scarlet or the emerald? because i have some blue/scarlet already and they seem to do no harm
no nvm it was a Sally Lightfoot Crab the hermit crabs are fine though but they do eat dead snails

Your stock list looks fine but I would suggest staying away from the starfish until your tank is very well established. How much LR do you plan on adding/or have? Some of those fish you stated like a lot of LR.

dperna

Originally Posted by Marine Fanatic
Your stock list looks fine but I would suggest staying away from the starfish until your tank is very well established. How much LR do you plan on adding/or have? Some of those fish you stated like a lot of LR.
At the moment I currently do not know how many lbs in live rock i have, but i am sure that i have plenty. but because of the the ammount the previous owner had then changing stuff around, taking out a little and adding some from my old tank i have NO clue how much i have. i think they should have plenty of hiding room
. thank you for your advice, and as far as the stock list goes which would you suggest the first post that i have fish or the second which i labeled the "original". thanks again

Just my thoughts here......
Lemonpeel Angel is a cool fish to have, a bit more sensitive to water changes than let's say a coral beauty but still a very cool fish.
Blackback Butterfly is also a beautiful fish but they are not reef safe so keep that in mind, they can also be a tad aggressive too.
Flasher wrasse, like the lemonpeel, can be very sensitive to water quality but otherwise a cool fish that likes to dart around and has amazing speed when it wants to "show off"
Maroon clown, I love clownfish and had a Maroon a while back....I swear it was a damsel in disguise, was MAJOR aggressive towards fish of similar, or smaller, size. Maybe think about a pair of Percula or Clarkii clowns instead??
Just my own personal opinions about these fish...I am sure others have some experience with them and can voice their views as well.

dperna

this will be a fish only tank so no need to worry about corals, but when you say sensitive to water changes do you mean they are affected if you dont do frequent water changes or they dont like constant water changes. and yeah i have a maroon right now that i am debating ab out getting rid of because of its size and stories of agressiveness when it gets larger(not to mention i really want to have room for those other guys!) thanks for the help

DPerna, I meant more sensitive to fluctuations in water quality......SG, PH, Trates, Ammonia etc.
Let's say you had a sudden change in PH for whatever reason....the lemonpeel would probably be more sensitive to it than a Coral Beauty.

garnet13aj

I like the first list as far as fish goes, I don't know enough about inverts to comment. I have a 55 also and am considering a blackback butterflyfish. I really like the way they look. And I love my clowns, they are hilarious.

hot883

Those dimensions equals just barely over 50 gallons. FYI
LxWxH /231= 50.4
I will delete your other thread since this one works fine. Barry

dperna

ah your right that is a 50g. but my dimensions are: 36.5 x 18.5 x 21. i checked the oceanic site to make sure they matched up

nmertz1

thats awesome that you have a 55 set up.
I aslo have a 55 with a mating pair of clowns.
I have had my tank for 2 months now, and I have two chocolate chip starfish.
They seem very hardy and I have had no Troubles.

hot883

Originally Posted by DPerna
ah your right that is a 50g. but my dimensions are: 36.5 x 18.5 x 21. i checked the oceanic site to make sure they matched up
That equals 61 gallons.