Starting up my 125 Gallon Tank

mjordan23

Hi, this is my first post to this board. I am 25 years old but I have been a saltwater fish enthusiest for over 17 years now. I just moved out of my parents house and left them with a 75 gallon tank. I just purchased a 125 gallon oceanic tank. I am building the stand next week and after that, I have to save for the rest. I have a few questions and I am open to any opinion. This is going to be a fish only with some live rock
1. I need to buy an overflow, is the CS150 overflow good.....It can do 1600/gallons per.
2. What size sump should I build? 40 gallon sump? I am going to use bioballs. Should I have the water go over the bioballs via a drip plate, any suggesttions.
3. I am getting a protein skimmmer for sump for xmas. Recommendations for a good one at a good price and do I really need this to start the cycling process.
4. How much live rock should I get. I already have some coral that I was going to put in.
5. How many powerheads are good for a 125?
Thanks and I cant wait to hear some replys. If anyone has pictures of their sumps with bioballs please reply with so I can get some ideas.

saltfan

Originally Posted by MJordan23
Hi, this is my first post to this board. I am 25 years old but I have been a saltwater fish enthusiest for over 17 years now. I just moved out of my parents house and left them with a 75 gallon tank. I just purchased a 125 gallon oceanic t
ank. I am building the stand next week and after that, I have to save for the rest. I have a few questions and I am open to any opinion. This is going to be a fish only with some live rock
1. I need to buy an overflow, is the CS150 overflow good.....It can do 1600/gallons per.
1600gph is good for your needs.
2. What size sump should I build? 40 gallon sump? I am going to use bioballs. Should I have the water go over the bioballs via a drip plate, any suggesttions.
Thats the size I will be DIY on a 135gl. With bio balls. Some used rocks.3. I am getting a protein skimmmer for sump for xmas. Recommendations for a good one at a good price and do I really need this to start the cycling process.
4. How much live rock should I get. I already have some coral that I was going to put in.
Rule of thumb, 1.5 to 2lbs for FOWLR tanks
5. How many powerheads are good for a 125?
This would depend on if you are planning on splitting off your return and how much flow your return will have. But 3 I would say with one return less if you split your return.
Thanks and I cant wait to hear some replys. If anyone has pictures of their sumps with bioballs please reply with so I can get some ideas.
And good luck. More guys will help you out on the skimmer part of it.

blesum

Originally Posted by MJordan23
3. I am getting a protein skimmmer for sump for xmas. Recommendations for a good one at a good price and do I really need this to start the cycling process.
Coralife Super Needlewheel skimmer 220. Can be a hang-on or in-sump. Great reviews, love mine, costs 150-170 online. If you want to save 20 or so bucks, get the 125, but I'm from the "Overkill is better" school. The 125 would be maxed out in your 125 tank.
No, you don't need the skimmer for the cycling portion. In fact, its my understanding that a tank will cycle better/quicker without a skimmer running. Stick yours in when you get it and don't turn it on until the cycle's almost over. Or maybe stick it in and have it running, but not pull anything out at all. The oxygenation might help with the cycling.
-Paul

mbootag

Jordan I am just getting ready to purchase a 125 making the jump from a 50. I wish I could help you out more but I would like to know how much was your tank and where are you located?

mjordan23

470 plus tax it isnt reef ready but it came with glass canopy and lights...I got it at petsmart, i guess it was there for a few years but it was a good price for an oceanic