Startup Costs

mystic7

Originally Posted by some1fishy
I agree with fuppets. Do it yourself. It is more enjoyable and you have more satisfaction in the end. The "set uppers" are for people who are people in a rush and must have it now. Wrong attitude in this hobby. Just my opinion.
I have always been one to research and learn. This is not that hard of a hobby. Especially now a days. Imagine 10 years ao when I first had mine what it was like. Got away for several years and when I came back into the hobby many things have changed including the ease and use of the new equipment.
O well thats my .02
What he said.

ophiura

Originally Posted by derrobin
It is all inclusive..pumps, lights, skimmer. They do the setup, install,etc..It is going into a cabinet that they have to cut to put all of the pump and wiring. I was thinking $3K was reasonable. Looks like it will be worth getting another quote,

Opps, I missed this part

If they are doing all the setup and install etc, then you may be paying a lot for that and may still be able to cut down on the cost of some of the equipment. My main concern is whether you are getting a standard tank package that is often not quite the best with a lot of the cost going into the install.

mrdc

My 120 cost me around $3k to get started which included setting it up. I also bought a lot of the equipment online. I wish now that I had done the aquascaping which is something I am about to redo. After the setup, I have made several modifications after researching (should have done first) and I am happy with the job that I have done. Now after making a light change, substrate change, filter change, adding more power heads, upgrading the heater, adding livestock, chemicals, refractometer, ... you get the idea..my cost is now over $6k.