Starvation

I have had a Yellow Clown Goby for a little over 2 weeks now and he has not eaten a thing!!!!!! He looks terrible, stomack is really sunken in and he gets more pale each day. I don't understand why he would be doing this. I have tried flakes, vibra-grow pellets, and frozen mysis shrimp. I have tried all of these soaked in vitamins and have tried all of these soaked in garlic. The food litterally hits him in the face and he woun't even open his mouth. I don't know what else to do. I can't stand looking at him anymore, it just makes me sad. My water params are trates and trites are 0, Alk is low at 150 and Calcium is a little low at 400. I have been working on getting these raised. Also the goby pretty much never moves from the same spot he has been since I got him and thats in the back corner of the tank. I have a Finger Leather and thought he would hang out there but has not touched it.
What else can I do????
Thanks,
NewBe

Is Garlic Extreme better to use than real garlic? I've been taking a clove of garlic and smashing it and then soaking it in a shot glass with tank water and mysis shrimp. And is that the best food for a Yellow Clown Goby?
Thanks,
NewBe

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How was he when you got him? What is your pH? Is he breathing hard? Does he swim around at all? Notice any parasites/ If you have a magnifying glass, give the fish a good look over to see if see any parasties, including in the gills. Check him over for any abnormalities.
Do you have a hospital tank?

Thanks Beth,
my water params are PH 8.2, Alk 200, Calcium 350, trites 0, trates 0, salinity 1.023. Every now and then he will swim around a bit but not for very long. I have my magnifine glass out all the time and have looked at him closely there is nothing on him. The only other fish in the tank is a Ocellaris Clown and he does not bother the goby in the slightest. I bought some garlic extreme last night and soaked some mysis shrimp (he did not eat) then I soaked some flake (he did not eat). It is very sad to watch him waste away :(
I really don't know what else I can do.
NewBe

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to know what to do when the only symptom is not eating and everything else looks ok.
Can you place the fish in a hospital? Perhaps an antibiotic treatment with MaracynTwo for SW fish that has a vit B complex to it. I've seen fish perc up, I believe, just becaue of the B. However, don put this in the reef tank.