State of emergency

jacknjill

So NC finallllly gets a little bit of snow and we all go into a panic lol. School is closed everywhere for about an inch or two of snow. Raleigh got about 4 inches and the governor has declared a state of emergency. I bet all you northerners are laughing at us

aquaknight

Just image of people got 4" of snow, oh say 800 miles south of you

Holy jebus it's cold!!! The TWENTIES!!!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2921012
Using THREE blankets tonight! Burrr...
LOL yeah, my sister lives in Florida. She tells me how deathly cold it gets there at 30 degrees

She was born and raised in NY so she LOVES telling me how cold it is there

reefraff

My wife is a Montana lifer. Back in 1996 we went to my parent's house in SoCal for Christmas. There was a back up on I-15 because Cajone pass was closed due to snow. Once they plowed it and we got to the pass the wife couldn't believe it. There couldn't have been 3 or maybe 4 inches of snow on the roadside.

laurie01

Originally Posted by JacknJill
http:///forum/post/2920836
So NC finallllly gets a little bit of snow and we all go into a panic lol. School is closed everywhere for about an inch or two of snow. Raleigh got about 4 inches and the governor has declared a state of emergency. I bet all you northerners are laughing at us

I have a friend who moved to Fayetteville from up here last year. She called me Monday night to laugh at all the people down there... they were all (including newscasters) in a panic because of a forecasted 3-5" of snow. Customers who came in to her (& hubby's) restaurant said the lines in Walmart were super long & there was no bread, milk or eggs anywhere to be found. Talked to her again last night; they only got a couple inches, but the schools were closed for a second day in a row. However, she said they don't clear the roads - they wait for the snow to just simply... go away. She found the whole thing amusing, even though she doesn't like snow herself.

Originally Posted by laurie01
http:///forum/post/2921113
I have a friend who moved to Fayetteville from up here last year. She called me Monday night to laugh at all the people down there... they were all (including newscasters) in a panic because of a forecasted 3-5" of snow. Customers who came in to her (& hubby's) restaurant said the lines in Walmart were super long & there was no bread, milk or eggs anywhere to be found. Talked to her again last night; they only got a couple inches, but the schools were closed for a second day in a row. However, she said they don't clear the roads - they wait for the snow to just simply... go away. She found the whole thing amusing, even though she doesn't like snow herself.
You should come down here and watch people drive in it. It's not funny, it's pathetic.

laurie01

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2921123
You should come down here and watch people drive in it. It's not funny, it's pathetic.
I'm sure it would be. NC hardly ever gets snow, so that when it does happen, people don't have any experience driving in it. My husband has a friend who lives in Durham (grew up in Phila.); he told us about one 7" snowstorm one year. He happened to have a snow shovel, but none of his neighbors did. He literally went down the street shovelling everyone's walkways.
But even as much snow as I get here (got my first 14" Oct. 28th along with 29 hours with no power), there are still some people who drive much slower than they need to. Most people have 4WD or try to stay off the roads when it snows here. Our roads are very hillly & windy though, so it doesn't take much for them to be treacherous.
One time a couple years ago, we got only 1". In any other normal
county where they have flatter/straighter roads, that would not be much of a problem. Not here. PennDOT ignored the roads; temperatures fell throughout the day; the school district didn't have an early dismissal like they should have. The result? The roads became extremely icy; PennDOT salt trucks & school busses got stuck on the roads. Several high school busses literally sat on the side of the road for hours - leaving elementary school children stuck at school until 7 pm. that night - and parents standing at the bus stop wondering where their kids were. PennDOT closed several of the roads, so parents couldn't even drive to the school to pick up their children. It also left the school staff scurrying around to try to feed dinner to the children. Since then, our school district closes at the drop of a snowflake.

t316

I'm right beside of Raleigh and got 7+" here. Not exactly a State of Emergency, but I am enjoying the two snow days off work and the kids out of school

stdreb27

We should have driven our gas guzzling trucks more this summer!

It has been cold, but this isn't so bad.

aquaknight

It was 28° this morning!!! Got some sweet frost on the car. Had to sit and wait for the defroster to get the frost loose enough for the wipers to clean the windshield.
Some frost shots...