Stellatus puffer?

hook

anyone have any info about this fish? i am limited to searching this site and the web from my phone... the local fish store has one... looks pretty interesting...

aw2x3

Other than the fact that they'll grow to over 4' long, they're just like any other Puffer.
Are you sure it's not a Mappa?

hook

i have no idea? it's a 2-3 inch ball that just chills on the floor with his tail curved around him. he is real dark with black dots. when he gets fed he gets real animated. he's labeled as a stellatus puffer, priced 120.00...

dischirm

I have a stellatus- It has stripes on its belly and spots on its back. Mine is a beautiful orange color. A Mappa has stripes coming out from around its eyes and a Stellatus does not.
It is very peaceful at this time, but it is only about 3 inches long. Eats well....kinda shy.

actionjack

Originally Posted by Dischirm
Here is a picture of my Stellatus
Man...if a 4ft long one of them things came near me... I would crap my pants :scared:

denny-boy

Originally Posted by Dischirm
Here is a picture of my Stellatus
I was just going to start the exact same thread
....This is a picture of a puffer at the LFS. He is marked as a MAP PUFFER and is only about an inch and a half long. It's undercarrige is identical but it has stripes along its body and not dots. Is it a Stellatus? He didn't look like he was in very good shape, I saw him this morning and came back before closing and he was gone. Turns out they were cleaning the strainers and he made his way to the sump, and spent the whole day in there getting beat up. Figured I'd give it a couple weeks and see if he is still available and in good health. Can anyone share some info on this puffer. What's a good price for a puffer this size?

hook

looks just like that, just dark brown instead of orange. they are asking 120 for the one at the lfs... i picked up my black dogface puffer today... still surfin from my phone or i'd post pics...

rabid frog

Its sad that the guy lost his finger. But welcome to ocean where you are not on top of the food chain anymore, but a part of the food chain.