Sterile Water

nsajd

I work in the OR, and have plenty of access to sterile water. any idea if this is similar to the water RO units create? All I know is that it is EXTREMELY filtered and sterilized.

reefkprz

do you know what types of filtration are used on it?
sterile means dead and clean. so in theory it should be at leasty 99.9 percent pure water. same thing as RO filtered.
hard to say without knowing the actual filtration used.

shrimpi

Sterile water contains no bacteria, fungi, critters, etc.. The definition of Sterility is the absence of sepsis- more importantly - endospores(the hardest to kill)- METAL can be sterile. Sterility just refers to the presence of organisms- it has nothing to do with chemicals, alkalines, etc.
I wouldnt put that in my tank- just because its sterile doesnt mean there arent unwanted chemicals in it that may harm your critters. Unless you are absolutely sure whats in it, dont do it.

I work in a OR too. Scrub tech.
-Jess

srfisher17

Wouldn't sterile water have something in it to keep it sterile; because as soon as its exposed to air, its no longer sterile. Also, sterile doesn't mean distilled, does it. I can boil tap water and it would be sterile, no?

al mc

I would ask the microbiology people in your hospital if it is possible that the gas sterilization could impart anything that the standard marine test kits is not even looking for before using. This type of water is for flushing/cleaning
correct? I would ask your micro people if they would drink it. If they say no
I would not use it in a tank. JMHO

nsajd

AL MC....if my micro people won't drink it...that means it's good for the fish. De-ionized water is harmful to us, yet good for the fishes. Would you like to try some?

al mc

Sorry if I hit a nerve. I would not drink DI water, but I still would ask the micro people if any of the gas used in the sterilization process is in the water. While it may be totally safe (I don't know if it is or is not), I would have some concerns.

mie

Ok dumb question why cant you drink di water? and what would happen if you did?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by mie
Ok dumb question why cant you drink di water? and what would happen if you did?
You would have a drunk chauffeur and be killed while being chased by the Paparazzi, in

[hr]
tunnel. Conspiracy theories would abound.

weebear71

Hi all. New to the boards here. Been reading them for awhile but never posted anything. I also work in the OR, scrub tech. If you did use sterile water you would have to haul quite a bit and I would think it would get expensive. IMO not worth the hassel.

mie

Originally Posted by srfisher17
You would have a drunk chauffeur and be killed while being chased by the Paparazzi, in

[hr]
tunnel. Conspiracy theories would abound.

WHAT??????

srfisher17

Originally Posted by mie
WHAT??????
A very poor pun in reference to all the Princess Di stuff in the news lately.

geridoc

You described the water as ethylene oxide sterilized distilled water. I'm not sure about the ethylene oxide, but deistilled water is only half the battle of purifying water. RODI removes residual ions and organics that distillation misses. I wouldn't use it.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by nsajd
I work in the OR, and have plenty of access to sterile water. any idea if this is similar to the water RO units create? All I know is that it is EXTREMELY filtered and sterilized.
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to get this stuff out of the hospital.? Even though its water; if it is O.R. safe, it has to be expensive and inventoried. (Unless its a govt run place)

shrimpi

The water isnt sterilized by the hospital, its bought from a manufacturer.
Who knows what type of sterilization they use. ETO gas is commonly used to sterilize sensitive OR equipment, but Im not sure about water..... because the Or itself doesnt sterilize it!
Sterilization is not the same as purified.
You are stealing if you are taking this, and as stated above, you would need a generous amount to make a water change.
the largest Ive seen is a 1000ml bottle, which isnt much in terms of a tank.
Good thinking, but BAD idea IMO.
-Jess
Scrub Tech S. Florida