Sting ray kills woman in boat!

nel621

Saw this on the news.In the Fla. keys a 75lb stingray jumped out of the water and hit a woman riding in the front of a boat.The impact killed the woman AND the ray!Talk about freak accident.The womans' husband was driving the boat but it all happened to fast for him to even react.The report goes on to say that rays do jump out of the water when fleeing predators or to shake of parasites or to give birth.Be careful in the keys.

keri

Impaled in the neck by the ray's barb? I don't think so. (watching a broadcast) and do they really get 17 feet??

fromoe

Originally Posted by Keri
http:///forum/post/2528158
Impaled in the neck by the ray's barb? I don't think so. (watching a broadcast) and do they really get 17 feet??
she died from being bonked on the head. i see stingrays jumping every year (usually 1-3 feet into the air), just not into boats.

firerescue

personally i think it is ridiculous how they are saying the ray attacked her when all i did was get spooked from the boat moving and jumped out of the water and hit her. she died from hitting her head on the rail of the boat. Just a freak accident but in no way was the ray attacking her.

howardj

I saw this on the news last night. They said she was sitting in the boat with her family, and the ray jumped up and hit her in the head. Then the sister attempted CPR..
I can see death upon impact if the boat was going, but not if it was just sitting there..
Talk about freak accident...