Stingray help

brandoncena

I just purchased a yellow stingray yesterday and my nitrate levels were fine about 5 ppm now I just checked them this morning and they are about almost at 20 ppm it is a 90 gal tank with a stingray (which i know im gonig to need a bigger tank) 2 clown fish and 2 tangs i do not have enough room for a refugium tank and i do have amquil plus to remove nitrate what should I do to reduce my nitrate quickly so that the stingray can survive ?
Thanks in advance

meowzer

Water change!!! And remember stingrays seem to poop a lot so you need a system capable of filtering it out.

brandoncena

Thanks but how much of a water change should i do and i have a bunch of powerheads a protien skimmer uv sterlizer and my filtration is a fluval canister 405

premilove

that's exactly why your trates went up. with rays excreting a lot + a canister filter = huge nitrate factory. you are going to have to either 1 - change media/clean filter 1x a week - 1x 2 weeks. or 2 - ditch the canister filter, get a sump.

premilove

crimzy should chime in here eventually he has 2 rays, both are beautiful. i am extremely envious of his monstrous set up

crimzy

It's hard to chime in here without flaming.
In an effort to avoid that, I'll just say that you got a ray in a tank that's too small with an inadequate filter. Good luck.

premilove

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2876969
It's hard to chime in here without flaming.
In an effort to avoid that, I'll just say that you got a ray in a tank that's too small with an inadequate filter. Good luck.

i knew this was coming lol

meowzer

Well I have a canister filter...2 actually...and my trates are always 0. I am no expert, but it is working for me.

nanomantis

Seachem's product Prime can be used as a quick fix to remove nitrates and ammonia. However, it is not a long term fix as all it does is change the chemical structure. If used repeatedly without removal via waterchange I imagine it would reach a maximum and convert suddenly back into the toxins.
Just a bandaid till you can stitch the wound.
Also do what works for you, no need to go spend hundreds on dollars on new equipment if your current equipment has been working just fine. Just remember that you will need to think twice about future purchases and if your canisters can support them. A stingray was a bad choice. I think you are realizing this now, you just doubled the workload you are going to need to preform on the tank (ei: much more frequent water changes or you will lose critters). Now, Groupers/Lions/Triggers would also be bad choices (due to the waste they produce) so keep that in mind. A canister just doesn't house enough bacteria to provide for drastic increases in bioload. But you should be able to house smaller specimens just fine. You will just need to be more careful and attentive than the average hobbiest.

rotarymagic

Run a turf scrubber, they can be employed to run above the top of the tank with a powerhead (and they're cheap to build) when a sump is not possible.. I know silencio had one on his old 55.. check out the mega nitrate, phosphate, etc. remover thread in the reef section.

brandoncena

now that i have learned alot more about the ray and nitrate I currentyl have a guy looking for a Sump or a Refugium for my tank now the question i have is which would be beter it is a 90 gal tank and If possible i would like it to fit right under my stand and with either a sump/refugium should I still leave my canister filter hooked up and will my nitrate levels be stabilized with either of the two? thanks

premilove

tank is too small for ray. give it back to LFS, get a bigger tank, or give to someone that has the right setup for it! poor ray