Stingray

K

kyocean

Hi, I have a 55 gal. reef tank already, but my wife is wanting a stingray. I was just wondering what size tank would I need, and what other kind of fish can be added without any problems. Any help would be great.

carrie1429

I'm not really an expert on sting rays but I do think they need a larger tank than a 55 ga. I think they need at least a 100 gal. Also they do better in aggressive tanks. JMO

demosthenes

GL with what you do, and I just had to point this out. It seems that both replies are pointing to the fact that a 55 is too small. I think that KYOCEAN knows that. He is simply stating that he has a 55 already, but needs to know what size of a tank he will need for a stingray. I too agree that BlueSpotted Stingrays are too fragile for captivity, and that the Yellows are much better. I wasn't trying to start trouble, I just had to point out that KYOCEAN already knew a 55 was too small, and was asking what wasn't too small.

jim27

I also agree, yellows are the best choice IMO. Mine was very quick to begin eating and ate from my hand often.
A tank with at least 24" width is a must for them, and thats the very least width you can go. I'd get at least a 5'x2'x2' 150 gallon for one and something around 240+ gallons(with EXCELENT filtration) for a bluespotted ribbontail ray. 30+" width would be much better for either.