stinky garlic!

yosemite sam

I have over the last few days started mixing in some garlic juice with the fish food (about 1/8 tsp) as I am paranoid about leaving my fish in someone elses hands while I am gone for about 2 weeks over Christmas. I have noticed, however, that the tank as well as the room it's in is starting to smell like garlic. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I use less garlic?

marinerock

HI YOSEMITE...
YOU SHOULD BE KEEPING THE FOOD MIXED WITH GARLIC
IN THE REFRIGERATOR....I USE GARLIC ALSO AND DO NOT
HAVE ANY RESIDUAL SMELL IN MY TANK FROM IT....
ALSO, FRESH GARLIC CLOVES ARE MORE POTENT THAN OTHER
SOURCES...
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

yosemite sam

Broncofish,
Garlic is reputed to help keep fish heathy the same way people take garlic tablets like vitamins.
Thanks Marinerock. I've been adding the juice from a jar of crushed garlic that I bought at the grocery store and let it sit in the food a few minutes before adding it. I've seem tubes of garlic juice at the lfs but they're like $15. I'll try mixing some up now and try it tomorrow. Hopefully it'll smell better.
BTW the tank is in our bedroom, which is when the smell is particularly bothersome

jarrod

I love the smeel of garlic, and I too have a jar of crushed garlic in my refrigerator. Love the stuff! Didn't even think about using it, instead I bought the kent stuff. That stuff makes me gag every time I use it. I've never checked to see what difference if any there is between the too, but man that stuff stinks. yuck, yuck, yuck.
Christina

dgbnyc

I saw a bottle of garlic at a health food store. It is a spray bottle that I soak my food in before feeding. Don't know if it helps but its easy, smells like garlic and is very clean.
It was about $7 or so and will last quite a long time.

clarkiiboi

That stuff in the jar is quite potent! Also, not sure if there are additives in there that you may not want in the tank. I use a garlic glove and chop in 4's, soak overnight, pull out the pieces with tongs, and feed. Never yet has the tank or room smelled. Just the kitchen when I first chop it up, but that is it and to be expected. The fresh bulbs are probably a lot less in cost too. HTH

I mince up to a half a clove of fresh garlic when I feed in the am.. on occasion I do notice the aroma of a bad italian restaurant coming for from my fish tank but never toooo bad.
on a sarcastic note start eatign more food with garlic and you wont notice the tank anymore....
it does seem to help the fish fight off some issues. I have 2 bluespot jawfish and when I laxed of on garlic one of them started showing some spots. within 2 days of starting garlic again they were gone....
fresh garlic it GOOD stuff
andy

marinerock

HI...
THE WAY WE DO IT IS WE SLICE A CLOVE OF GARLIC ....
WE PUT THE FISH FOOD IN A CUP THEN WE PUT THE CLOVES ON THE TOP OF THE FOOD...ADD A LITTLE WATER AND REFRIGERATE...
WE MIX UP A BATCH USUALLY GOOD FOR A WEEK....
WE LEAVE THE CLOVES IN THE FOOD UNTIL THE FOOD IS GONE...THEN DISCARD THE PIECES OF GARLIC....
YOU CAN PICK UP A NICE PIECE OF GARLIC FOR LESS THAN
A DOLLAR AND YOU COULD MAKE ALOT OF MEALS FOR THE FISH...
REMEMBER TO REFRIGERATE SO THE GARLIC STAYS FRESH....
ITS ALWAYS BETTER TO USE ANYTHING IN ITS NATURAL STATE...
GARLIC HAS ANTIBIOTICAL AGENTS...AND IT SEEMS TO WORK WELL....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

I

irenicus

I need to give some garlic food to my puffer. So you suggest I cut a clove (lets say in 4ths), put it in a cup over his krill, mega-marine ect. with some water in a fridge.?
Some of the food my puffer eats likes to get messy when in water/thaw. He'll only eat chunks. Any suggestions?

marinerock

HI IRENICUS....
YOU CAN PUSH 2 OF THE PIECES OF GARLIC INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE CUP AND LEAVE 2 ON TOP...THEN ADD A LITTLE WATER TO IT..
AS FAR AS YOUR PUFFER ONLY EATING CHUNKS OF FOOD...
YOU CAN TAKE A CLOVE OF GARLIC....SQUEEZE OUT THE JUICE OVER THE CHUNKS OF FOOD AND PLACE THE CLOVE ON TOP
AND REFRIGERATE....THE CHUNKS OF FOOD SHOULD STILL STAY
WHOLE.....
JUST REMEMBER TO REFRIGERATE THE FOOD W/GARLIC....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK