STINKY live rock

freebyrd

So, I went up a couple gallons in my mini tank of live rock, and damsels--and snails--never added too much more then that because I was waiting for a larger tank, so NOW- I am in a 95
and the live rock I just took out of my 30-smells funky! What the?
REAL FUNKY!
Let me know what I should do with it, keep it? will it go back to normal?
:confused:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, why would it smell bad? Wasn't it in a tank that had filtration?

the mantis

This seems to be the same process as taking the live rock out of the ocean...We take it out and transfer it to our tanks...so anytime the live rock is out of the water it will have an odor.

offshore80

None of mine ever stunk... Unless it was not cured. Then it was pretty nasty. But, that's cause of the die off on the rock from shipping.

T

thomas712

When we take a piece of live rock out of our tanks it should smell like seawater, not funky. Check for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Smell the aquarium water as well, run carbon unless you are done with this tank.
How long has this rock been in the tank?
Thomas

freebyrd

its been in there for about a year.....
I think it died, I had all kinds of little animals, and dusters-now they are all gone.....my levels are all good, however-my temp has been in the high 70's low 80's?
:(

moopiespoo

If it smells like rotten eggs your rock has probably died. Your temp doesnt sound like it was the cause, was the rock out of the water for a long time?