STN'ING?

gemmy

I got this coral on Monday and I didn't pay much attention to them when the guy was bagging it (I was more intrigued by the shark fight going on)
. I bring it home and realize during acclimation the base is white.
So now what do I do? Should I frag it just above where the skeleton is exposed and super glue it to a rock? Do I let it be and hope for the best?
My parameters:
Temp: 78
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Phosphate:0
Calcium:480
KH: 9 or 161.1 ppm
Ph: 8.4
I have 150 watt metal halides supplemented with 6 65 watt actinics, run protein skimmer, 3 PH's (one Koralia that I forget the model, one nano Koralia (specifically for my chili coral den) & an aqueon (I forget the GPH/model on this one too), a penguin HOB modded as refugium and a Fluval 305 canister.

gemmy

Pretty slow, I compared this pic with some I took earlier in the week and there is minimal change.

meowzer

I'm no expert...BUT...IMO I would cut some of it above the white.....at least give it a chance...and then IF BY SOME CHANCE the otehr survives you are ok...if not...you saved the cut piece
I saved a small piece of an sps by doing just that... :)

gemmy

I'm just mad at myself for not checking it before leaving the store and now I am stuck with it. Lesson learned. There is a small piece that broke off and it is not showing any white, so there might be hope if I frag the rest.

meowzer

Like I said...I am no expert...I wish someone else who had some sps would chime in...BUT from what I have read...cutting would be the best thing
good luck with it :)

btldreef

Fragging usually is the best/only option for STN. Just be glad it's not RTN, that's a b*tch to try to save the corals from.

spanko

I would leave this coral alone myself. The base being white could just be the result of it not getting enough light down there in its previous environment. If you have it in good light, higher flow and your water parameters are withing normal seawater levels I believe this will be fine.
JMO

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/381394/stn-ing#post_3321858
I would leave this coral alone myself. The base being white could just be the result of it not getting enough light down there in its previous environment. If you have it in good light, higher flow and your water parameters are withing normal seawater levels I believe this will be fine.
JMO
I think you make a good point. I took a real close look at it today and the whitest piece on the base appears to be getting some color to it. It could just be my optimism.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to monitor it for the next couple of days and if it gets worse, I'll start fragging.

nissan577

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/381394/stn-ing#post_3321858
JMO
i also agree with Henry, the coral towards the top looks really fine. now the base looks white cause like henry said it may not have been getting enough light. but everything should be fine. that sps is a fast grower. IMO i would frag some of it and let grow more. i had a 2 inch one and months later i had new babies growing on my koralia, glass, and overflow. idk how they got there but they were! i love this sps. really hardy i must say.

J

jstdv8

I lost control of my salinity once and it got prett low and both of my monties started turning white. the sunset was about 1/4 gone by the time I got it fixed. it's now completley grown back over the white and then some about 2 months later.
Could happen here too.

king_neptune

For STN fragging or dips.
For RTN, your pretty much SOL :(
I lost a Blue Orgeon Tort today, took less than 36 hours, by the time I caught it...it was over. I managed to clip off a 2" peice...but im sure its toast as well.
Whats even more frustrating, Is I am seeing signs of other infections in the tank. I did a %20 Waterchange today, and got antibiotics and vitamins comming rush order.
Hope they make it in time.

king_neptune

There is one other option for taking care of it, but from the looks of your plant its not an option...
Pouring frag glue over the dead tissue, and even a little ways up to the healthy tissue. This is useful for small problems, not big ones.
Also, Revive from TLF is a great dip. Coral RX is also good, but keep it away from smooth branch corals like the ORA Hawkins echinata.
Just remember dipping is best used if your already sure your water checks out.

king_neptune

One question:
When it was pulled from the tank, how deep in the shade was it? When corals are in the shade they can be healthy on top, but dead down below. I have good corals that are half buried in sand and rock. Below the light line, its dead skeleton, above the line its healthy and happy.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Neptune http:///forum/thread/381394/stn-ing#post_3326776
One question:
When it was pulled from the tank, how deep in the shade was it? When corals are in the shade they can be healthy on top, but dead down below. I have good corals that are half buried in sand and rock. Below the light line, its dead skeleton, above the line its healthy and happy.
The base was pretty well shaded. The coral is actually doing real well. The white is not progressing and I am going to take Nissan's advice and frag it. I fragged a small piece to see what would happen and the whole piece got a real nice color to it. I will try to post new pics sometime this week.

king_neptune

Fragging is fully acceptable in this situation for many reasons.
Just do it a little higher than the flesh since your going all the way.

gemmy

Update: I fragged it. I learned an important lesson - pay attention to what you are doing with the super glue. This is the main piece. I also put several smaller pieces in different areas of the tank to see what will happen. I can't find my camera, so this pic was taken by my cell phone.