Stock List

kjr_trig

OK, I am a bit bored at work for a few days, as my golf course is closed for 2 weeks to transition from summer to winter grass, as such I will be babysitting the golf shop and answering phones for a few days

As soon as my wife gets the window treatments up in our new house, I will be getting a new 180 (left our 135 behind when we moved cross country), I thought I would throw out my early plans for a stock list for a little feedback.
Here it is...
Niger Trig
Humahuma Trig
Porky Puffer
Emperor Angel
Koran Angel
Goldentail Moray
Lionfish of some sort....That is kind of my question, I have never kept a Lion before, I would think he would be safe with these tankmates? Thats why I would go with the Huma instead of a Clown Trig. I have had Huma and Niger before and they were not aggressive (Huma was 7 years old, Niger 5 or so). One question I would have having never had a Lion, it seems they are rather slow moving hunters, with such aggressive eaters (particularly the puffer) in the tank, will it be difficult to get the Lion food? Also what Lion would people suggest should I go this route?
Thanks!

crimzy

I'd go with a volitan with those large fish. However I have had huma huma's that have killed my lions. I have also had humas that were fine with lions so it's pretty much a gamble. Although they are pretty slow, they are generally right around the location of feeding and I don't think yours would have trouble competing.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by crimzy
I'd go with a volitan with those large fish. However I have had huma huma's that have killed my lions. I have also had humas that were fine with lions so it's pretty much a gamble. Although they are pretty slow, they are generally right around the location of feeding and I don't think yours would have trouble competing.
Thanks Crimzy...I have certainly heard of nasty Huma's, mine spent seven years swimming from one end of the tank to the other, eating, and following anyone who walked by the tank. I hope I get that Huma again. Any suggestions on order of introduction, from what I know, Lions are very good fish to introduce early as they tolerate water issues, I plan to introduce the Angels last, and at the same time.

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
OK, I am a bit bored at work for a few days, as my golf course is closed for 2 weeks to transition from summer to winter grass, as such I will be babysitting the golf shop and answering phones for a few days

As soon as my wife gets the window treatments up in our new house, I will be getting a new 180 (left our 135 behind when we moved cross country), I thought I would throw out my early plans for a stock list for a little feedback.
Here it is...
Niger Trig
Humahuma Trig
Porky Puffer
Emperor Angel
Koran Angel
Goldentail Moray
Lionfish of some sort....That is kind of my question, I have never kept a Lion before, I would think he would be safe with these tankmates? Thats why I would go with the Huma instead of a Clown Trig. I have had Huma and Niger before and they were not aggressive (Huma was 7 years old, Niger 5 or so). One question I would have having never had a Lion, it seems they are rather slow moving hunters, with such aggressive eaters (particularly the puffer) in the tank, will it be difficult to get the Lion food? Also what Lion would people suggest should I go this route?
Thanks!
KJR - I like the stock list. After having my triggers, I would definitly go with either a clown, blueline, or crosshatch.
I just got my blueline into QT and he is amazing! He is beautiful and is co-habitating with the clown and the queen angel quite well in QT.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
KJR - I like the stock list. After having my triggers, I would definitly go with either a clown, blueline, or crosshatch.
I just got my blueline into QT and he is amazing! He is beautiful and is co-habitating with the clown and the queen angel quite well in QT.
I love Blueline, and Clown, (and of course the Undy) but if I am going to try a Lion, I would fear for his life....I am kind of in between here, I love aggressive triggers and their interesting personalities, but I would like to try something different too (thus a Lion). Have you ever kept a Lion Chris?
Got a picture of the QT tank now with the 3 fish...not to hijack my own thread.

ccampbell57

I love Blueline, and Clown, (and of course the Undy) but if I am going to try a Lion, I would fear for his life....I am kind of in between here, I love aggressive triggers and their interesting personalities, but I would like to try something different too (thus a Lion). Have you ever kept a Lion Chris?
Got a picture of the QT tank now with the 3 fish...not to hijack my own thread.

Not yet...I will take some tonight.
I have never had a lionfish before. My wife wont allow venomous fish in the house with the kids. I have always wanted a radiata or a russells.
I have seen lions and triggers together. In fact, my LFS had an undy and a volitan together and they wer just fine.

undisputed17

honestly from my experience i dont think you will have a problem. But maybe i got triggers that behaved well...I believe that as long as you introduce the Lionfish first into the tank and make sure the triggers are smaller than the lion you shouldnt have any problems. I have kept a lion with niger, picasso and undy before i left to go 2 school..never had any aggression problems

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Undisputed17
honestly from my experience i dont think you will have a problem. But maybe i got triggers that behaved well...I believe that as long as you introduce the Lionfish first into the tank and make sure the triggers are smaller than the lion you shouldnt have any problems. I have kept a lion with niger, picasso and undy before i left to go 2 school..never had any aggression problems
No kidding!?! A lion with an undy huh. I had a neighbor that was away a lot and had me do his water changes a lot. The Undy was in a 240 with a Fimbriated Eel, he didn't want only two fish, but heloved the Undy, whom wouldn't allow any other fish in his tank. I would love an Undy (amazingly entertaining fish), but would be very leary after taking care of that one...How long did you/have you had yours? How big is he?

ccampbell57

KJR -
As requested here are some pictures of the new addition to the QT. I did a ton of research on the BlueLine and realize that he gets large, but I am upgrading my tank once my basement is completed.
He is awesome...his name is Brutus. It fits with his attitude :)

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
KJR -
As requested here are some pictures of the new addition to the QT. I did a ton of research on the BlueLine and realize that he gets large, but I am upgrading my tank once my basement is completed.
He is awesome...his name is Brutus. It fits with his attitude :)
He is AWESOME!!!
He just looks like a BMF.....Any worries about adding 3 new fish at once to the big tank?
Thanks for the pics.

undisputed17

Ya if the undy was in the tank first you might as well give up putting others in... or remove it and trying reintroducing it.. But I Had my tank up prolly about 2 years ago ..i put it down and sold all my fish when i moved off to college but my lion was a good 6' and undy was about 3' Personally undy are my favorite
But its up to you because fish temp tend to dif you might get a bad a$$ and rip your tank apart..But to get back on my exp with the foodchain the lions fend well on feeding when it comes to food they move out....Not really sure about a Blueline never had one....But if you want your best bet i would try the humu or niger...If you want trigs jus introduce your lionfish first into the tank..i doubt that the lion would pose any threat to a newly introduced tankmate other than swimming in to investigate as long as they cant fit in its mouth...But let me know how it goes and what you decide on

ccampbell57

He is AWESOME!!!
He just looks like a BMF.....Any worries about adding 3 new fish at once to the big tank?
Thanks for the pics.
Thanks man! He is really interesting too...he is definitly the fish with the most personality...reminds me a lot of my old puffer

I have a couple of concerns but not with the old fish. I am more concerned for the new ones with the Angels.
The Emperor and Blueface are double the size of the queen!
We shall see how things go in a couple of weeks.

For me it doesn't seem to work, triggers and Angels. Angels are more delicate fish ( 50 or less nitrate ) and triggers are just plain dirty.
But they can hold there own against a trigger. Anyway I am trading in my emperor for a maroon gold stride or huma trigger.
I can't take the angels anymore, they are so boring.

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by 3stripedamsel
For me it doesn't seem to work, triggers and Angels. Angels are more delicate fish ( 50 or less nitrate ) and triggers are just plain dirty.
But they can hold there own against a trigger. Anyway I am trading in my emperor for a maroon gold stride or huma trigger.
I can't take the angels anymore, they are so boring.
You think they are boring? How big was your emperor? My angels are unreal. They are the most interesting fish in the tank. Actually the one that I will be really watching is the BlueLine. He reminds me of my Emperor. They are both big beautiful fish with a sign on their side that screams "Dont F*&K with me!"