Stocking...180 Gallon?

freeride7

[hr]
I originally had this posted in the reef section...might get better input here.
So it has been about a mth and I am cycled and ready to start stocking. I have already transferred some of my crazy abundance of corals outgrowing my 55 ( leathers, branching frog, shrooms , zoos e.t.c ) to my 180.
I would luv to go with a trigger and some tangs... larger species..and also smaller fish ( clowns e.t.c )...been researching and "reef safe" triggers exist on paper..however..any experiences? My LFS has a wicked looking Pinktail Trigger...tempted.and a nice sohal tang ( I would add this as my last fish )..also want a decent clean up crew , hermits, snails e.t.c. Is this possible at all ? Or hit & miss. If I put the smaller fish in before the trigger?
any feedback would be appreciated.

florida joe

A few of my friends have blue jaw and pink tail Triggers and say they are reef safe but may bother ornamental shrimp and snails on occasion

kjr_trig

Sargassum (pictured in avatar
)or Bluethroat would be the safest bets, Pinktail is not a bad choice either coral and cleanup crew wise, the issue would be small fish, these guys can get pretty big and Triggers are Triggers, a 3 inch Trigger is no problem with small fish, a 8+ inch Pinktail a few years down the road + small fish =
There is no sure thing in the Trigger family.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by freeride7
http:///forum/post/2867996
Ya, thats kind of what I thought.
Do the bluethroats get big as the pinktails?
Smaller (Pinks get 14 inch I believe and Bluethroat to 9ish max) and less prone to aggression, plus if you want you can do a Male/Female pair which is a cool option with the Bluethroats.

freeride7

Tks. Some good info. I think I will hold off on the pink and see if I can't source the bluethroat...do you have a bluethroat? Is it ok with your other tankmates?