Stocking 29 Gallon Bio Cube

theyurtal

So this is my first saltwater tank and I've had it running for 2 weeks with live rock and live sand. My chemical balance is good so it's time to put fish in. I have no idea what I can't put in with what. If anybody could critique the list and tell me what will and won't work that would be fantastic.
2 Occerailis or Percula clownfish
Tail spot goby
Yellowfin flasher wrasse
Pistol shrimp
Turbo snails.
Thanks
Austin

zeroc

I'd go with the Ocellaris clown, they're more chill in general but are pretty active. Assuming all your parameters are zero, add the goby and all the snails and hermits you want. Once you start feeding continue to monitor your parameters, the wrasse in a week or two and the 2 clowns a couple after that. Just go slow.

theyurtal

Ok so I should add the goby, shrimp, and snails now then wait a couple of weeks then add the clowns and wrasse? And would this be considered overstocking or am I fine on my bio load?

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYurtal http:///t/394983/stocking-29-gallon-bio-cube#post_3515885
So this is my first saltwater tank and I've had it running for 2 weeks with live rock and live sand. My chemical balance is good so it's time to put fish in. No! to soon what are your pram? Tank needs to complete its first cycle. I have no idea what I can't put in with what. If anybody could critique the list and tell me what will and won't work that would be fantastic.
2 Occerailis or Percula clownfish will take over entire tank when nesting, how about 1 Ocellaris to small of a tank for Percula
Tail spot goby Do you mean 2 spot then OK
Yellowfin flasher wrasse OK
Pistol shrimp Good with Organge Spot Prawn Goby or Orange Spotted or Yasha
Turbo snails.
Thanks
Austin

theyurtal

When I said the chemical balance is good I meant that everything had spiked then dropped back down to zero. That means that the tank has run it's cycle right?

mr. limpid

Not in two weeks. What did you use to cycle tank and what was the highest level of ammonia did you get to.

theyurtal

I didn't use anything. My ammonia got up to 1 ppm. My nitrate hit 10 ppm and I was told by my LFS that after your nitrate spikes and falls back down that you are safe to put fish in. I used live rock and live sand, I don't know if that's what sped up the cycle?

mr. limpid

Do you have or have you've seen brown algae growing in your tank? And are you ghost feeding your tank now?

theyurtal

Ghost feeding? I don't know what that is but I don't think I am. I am using the API Saltwater Master Test Kit. I have red algae, my LFS said that it was really good for my tank. But no brown algae ever

mr. limpid

I would test it all again to make sure. Ghost feeding is adding food to an empty tank after cycling to keep the bacteria alive until you add a fish, (feed as if there is a fish in the tank). To be safe I would ghost feed for a week and test every day and see what happens. Cycling usually takes 4 to 6 weeks.

theyurtal

Okay I will definitely do that. I don't want to add fish just so they can die. I will wait a week while ghost feeding and check the water everyday. Should I expect it to spike again?

mr. limpid

If doen't spike then you are good to add a fish if it does you'll need to wait till everthing goes back to 0.