Stocking a 270

cprdnick

Isn't there a type of bannerfish that is called the "poor mans moorish idol"? It's supposed to look about the same but is a lot more hardy in the aquarium habitat.
Clint
EDIT: I just looked it up, there is a bannerfish from the Solomon Islands that looks identical to the Moorish Idol. You might try one of these, it'd be closer to a sure bet than the Idol itself.

fishtanker

bannerfish are a far cry from a moorish idol :) , but a cool fish in their own right. IMO
BTW nice tank Red...your tanks keep getting bigger and bigger :D

fishtanker

Originally posted by cprdnick
BannerFish

nick can you link me the site that says that second pic is a bannerfish? and whats the latin name for that it.
it appears to be an idol also but i could be wrong....if it is in fact a Heniochus
I want one :)

elfdoctors

This website sells them (although they have been out of stock for a while (even before the holidays).
Look under the butterfly fish section for a Heniochus butterfly.

saltfin

I agree with elfdoctor the Heniochus it the poor man's answer. For that reason (Keeping alive) I chose the Hen. Fantastic pal, He is attentive, likes to throw up his dorsal with different interest here and there. He is very hardy and loves romaine, brine shrimp, flakes and who knows what else. He looks very close to the Morish.
If it is attitude you are looking for he has it and is gental with everyone!

cprdnick

It is quite possible that it is mis labled on the search I did. All I did was go to the yahoo search engine, type in Moorish Idol, went to the images tab, saved a good pic. Then I typed in bannerfish, and did the same out of a few choices of types. So, like was said above, it is quite possible that whoever put the pics there is just as dumb as me, but you never know do ya????
Clint :thinking:

shine~on

those 4x4's aren't held together by duct tape are they?!...hahaha it's kinda hard to see.
Nice tank, btw. I'm jealous.

bigred

LOL actually it's duct tapes with staples. For real, they are flat joice brackets with about 6 nails in each one. Then I put L brackets on the insides. I added the cross members after I set it up and it made a world of difference in strength. It doesn't even woble.:D: