stocking a 29 gal

sea goblin

Im going to be getting my 29 gal tank back from a friend, and i want to start it back up again as a saltwater tank. I have kept a 30 gallon for over 2 years now with no problems. I was wondering if a pair of maroon clowns would get too big for a 29? they are an awsome looking fish and i think a pair of them would be really cool.
any input is welcom.
thank you,
Sea Goblin

A mated pair would probably be fine in a 29 gal. However, if they are not mated and fight, there is not much room to escape in a 29 gal. one may end up dead.
Species tanks can be very cool. It could also make a nice small reef tank and still have the Clowns.

sea goblin

thanks maroonfan, anyone else have any imput? I'd like to hear what ever stories ya got, or any advice you have to offer.
Thanks,
Sea Goblin

marineman

A 29g is considered a small tank for marine fish but is doable if you dont overstock of mix incompatible species. Tank setup and cycling are extremely important before fish are added. I tell every one to put fully cured liverock in almost every saltwater tank. But as far as fish ideas I love my yellowstriped maroon clownfish pair. They are best buds and keep a close guard on their btip anemone. Royal gramma is very colorful and hardy fish, orchird dottybacks are stunningly colorful, midas blenny are cool swimmers/comical, yellow canary wrasse, yellow watchman goby, flame or coral beauty pygmy angelfish are other that may interest you and do well if not crowded in a smaller tank. Would do 3-5 fish depending how small their adult size would be or territorial needs.

sea goblin

Thanks Marineman, i know already about cycling a tank, i used 3 damsles when i cycled my 30, this time im going with the raw shrimp idea, it worked really well when i cycled my girfriends tank. As for fish i was just planning on having the pair of gold striped Maroon clowns and my only concern was if they would outgrow the tank.
So do you think a pair of Maroons would be ok just by themselves in a 29?
thanks,
Sea Goblin

marineman

should be no problem, clowns have small territories in the wild usually just adjacent to their protective sea anemone host. this way they can aviod their predators by dashing in the anemone