Stocking our dream tank

geridoc

Having finished cycling our dream 220 gal FO, my wife and I are in the process of stocking it with our dream fish (defined as fish that over years of marine fishkeeping we have enjoyed most). As of now we have a 7 year old emperor angel (about 5-6 inches), and a pair of flame hawkfish. We love the Desjardinii and Blonde Naso tangs, and are aware of potential problems of mixing tangs. Nevertheless, we would like to add these two species to our tank, and propose to add small individuals simultaneously. Do any of you have any experience, or even opinions about this plan. Eventually we would like to add a harlequin tusk to the mix, but not much more than that.

mr. limpid

The tangs are different in body shape you should be fine. But to be safe I would add the Desjardinii last or at same time (of the tangs). 220 gal nice size tank.

rickross23

Add a CT...I always have and still do want one...my 120s not big enough and i have a reef.. beautiful fish with character.

btldreef

I had a Sailfin and a Blonde Naso in my 155 together. They fought a little at first, but nothing that was ever a major concern. Adding them together, OR adding the Naso first would be the route that I'd go. Get the Blonde Naso from Mike. I bought a 4" female from him and it is my favorite fish. She's my pride and joy. The minute I walk into my fish room she swims up to the front glass and waits for me to hand feed her. If I stick my hand in the tank, she will literally lay in it. I've also found that for whatever reason, training them to hand feed cuts down on aggression, which was a major concern for me since I have multiple tangs.

geridoc

BTL: I got a 3-4 inch Desjardini from Mike two weeks ago, and it is in quarantine now. It was magnificent, so I couldn't resist. The blonde naso remains on my stock list, and we will probably pull the trigger on one as our next addition after the sailfin is finished in isolation and has adjusted to the DT.

geridoc

That has been our plan, but I am considering moving our borbonius anthias from the 40 gal reef system into the big tank where he can have some more swimming room, then adding the naso a little bit later. The boat on territory may have already departed - the sailfin gets along with the angel, but seems to be irritated by the two flame hawkfish, and I have seen him chasing them in recent days. It may be time for a rockwork rearrangement
, but I'll give them a few more days to see if things settle down.

geridoc

So, we added a 5 inch blonde naso several days ago, and at first we were worried. The Desjardini and Imperator did not give the newcomer a warm welcome, and the naso stopped eating for 2 days and stayed in the corner behind some rockwork. After a few days it did come out to get some brine shrimp, and that sort of opened the door, and peace now reigns in the tank. Everyone eats fine, and the three big guys are known as the three stooges since they patrol the tank together, grazing on the same rocks and begging together whenever a primate comes near the tank. I see why nasos become favorite pets - they definitely have a charm to them. Thanks for the advice.

btldreef

Glad to hear they're all getting along. As I said, I absolutely love my Naso. They have lots of personality. I need to go make a trip to Mike and see what he's got. I haven't been there since the baby was born.

geridoc

Get a lionfish.!Not an option-my wife is in love with our two flame hawkfish in that tank (tru.
th be told, I am too)

btldreef

While the lion is small it might not be an issue, but as the lion grows, those hawkfish might become lunch. Keep in mind that a lionfish will eat, or at least attempt to eat whatever it can fit in it's mouth. You have to consider the life of the fish and how large it will be when it matures. With the type of setup that GeriDoc is going with right now, I don't think a lion would be a good addition, especially since there is already a 7 year old angel in this tank and angels and lions don't mix.

geridoc

I am concerned about a clown trigger - very aggressive, and again, we worry about the hawkfish. Admittedly, a ct has been a grail fish since 1975, when we first got into saltwater fishkeeping, and even then they cost about $150-200, which was an inconceivable sum of money for a fish back then. Right now we are considering the idea that we are finished with the big guys - that we'll let the two tangs and the angel grow out in the tank, and we'll add smaller community fish for color and movement. The borbonius is one choice (and we already have him in the reef system,just a matter of getting it out), a smaller wrasse, perhaps a shoal of chromis or cardinals. We had been thinking about a harlequin tusk, but have added a cuc that would be lunch for such a beauty. We are open to suggestions.

btldreef

I agree. Clown trigger wouldn't be the wisest choice. Your tank is not an aggressive setup. I also think you're smart not to do any other large fish.
I wouldn't move the Borbonious. They're reef fish, leave him there.
I would do a none reef safe dwarf angel. You might even be able to do two if introduced properly.
A Toby puffer of some sort? I had a blue spot Toby who was a model citizen and never attacked tank mates or cuc.
Foxface?
Blenny? I absolutely love blennies. They have such a great personality. A Midas would be neat. Or a group of barnacle blennies with a large barnacle cluster.
Some non reef safe wrasses have BEAUTIFUL colors

brun67

if your looking for colors chromis add a bit if theres a group.
some non reef safe wrasses are also good like richmonds wrasse or vroleks.