stocking question

chadman

i currently have a 55g with a large powder blue tang a small clown and a cardinal fish...also a shrimp starfish and a few inverts...after a false alarm with ich we would like to add a couple more fish...does anyone have any suggestions for another large fish which we could add to the tank?

mitsutech

Originally Posted by chadman
i currently have a 55g with a large powder blue tang a small clown and a cardinal fish...also a shrimp starfish and a few inverts...after a false alarm with ich we would like to add a couple more fish...does anyone have any suggestions for another large fish which we could add to the tank?
You dont need any more fish until you take the powder blue back to the store a 55 is way to small for him.

chadman

well my lfs and there marine biologist said it is a large enough tank...some places online say it is too small of a tank but still many say it is large enough...i understand the rest of the tang police feel otherwise but this is what marine biologists are saying

bill109

well my lfs and there marine biologist said it is a large enough tank...some places online say it is too small of a tank but still many say it is large enough...i understand the rest of the tang police feel otherwise but this is what marine biologists are saying
done.. ***)

chadman

i actually emailed them and spoke with their head marine biologist/fishroom manager and she told me quote
Hello Chad,
I’m sorry you feel mis-informed about the Tang. The adult size of the P.B. Tang in captivity is usually about 8”, with 10” being large (though this is closer to their wild adult size.) Online tank recommendations vary from 55, to 75 to 100 or higher. I wouldn’t say any one site is completely correct or incorrect. I feel this is due to each writer’s own personal experience, which is true for almost everything in this hobby. We list 55 as a minimum, but certainly recommend larger if possible. A well maintained and minimally stocked 55 gallon tank can house him quite well. The most limiting factors for these tangs are diet and water quality. They are heavy grazers and need frequent feedings as well as high dissolved oxygen levels.
Returning the fish would be entirely up to you. If the fish is returned in good condition, within 2 weeks, we will return the full purchase price in store credit or to the credit card used in the original sale. It is also covered by the standard 5 day guarantee in the event something would happen.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bill109
ask to see his certification :hilarious (the marine biologist tht it
***) )
Bill, do not be rude!

bill109

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Bill, do not be rude!
sorry but it was hard not to
ill fix it give me a little bit

sepulatian

i actually emailed them and spoke with their head marine biologist/fishroom manager and she told me quote
Hello Chad,
I’m sorry you feel mis-informed about the Tang. The adult size of the P.B. Tang in captivity is usually about 8”, with 10” being large (though this is closer to their wild adult size.) Online tank recommendations vary from 55, to 75 to 100 or higher. I wouldn’t say any one site is completely correct or incorrect. I feel this is due to each writer’s own personal experience, which is true for almost everything in this hobby. We list 55 as a minimum, but certainly recommend larger if possible. A well maintained and minimally stocked 55 gallon tank can house him quite well. The most limiting factors for these tangs are diet and water quality. They are heavy grazers and need frequent feedings as well as high dissolved oxygen levels.
Returning the fish would be entirely up to you. If the fish is returned in good condition, within 2 weeks, we will return the full purchase price in store credit or to the credit card used in the original sale. It is also covered by the standard 5 day guarantee in the event something would happen.
Your LFS is correct in some factors. They said the minimum is a 55. These fish are open water swimmers. They need at least a 6 foot long tank to be comfortable. Very experienced hobbiests have been able to keep tangs in a 4 foot tank, keep in mind that they know what to look for when a fish's health starts to decline due to stress. On this site we are not out to make money (you should also know that these boards are not run by SWF the company, they are run by members and moderaters). All members of this site are volunteers. We gain absolutely nothing from sharring our experiences. We just don't want members to make the same mistakes that we or other members have made. I personally specialize in disease and treatment on this board. I have seen countless members come to that forum with perfect water quality and sick tangs. They get VERY stressed out without proper swimming room. I invite you to come to the disease and treatment forum and do a search on tangs. You will see the posts of other members that have had problems when tangs are not housed properly. Your LFS offered to take the tang back. I highly recomend that you do so. If you get a larger tank then you can always get another one down the road.

1journeyman

The term "Tang Police" gets thrown around a lot.
It's kind of silly really. If sharks were widely sold and kept would there be "Shark Police"?
Tangs are beautiful, widely and frequently found fish in the trade. They are also sold to anyone the majority of the time.
While I don't always agree with Michael's book, the fact that your tank is 1/2 the minimum size tank says it's an issue to me.
To answer your question, however, your tank seems to be stocked to capacity if you wish to keep a 10 inch fish. Tangs are messy.

chadman

i hear what you guys are saying and appreciate the input...
we will seriously consider returning the tang...i am not sure how my gfriend will feel about it though i think she has kind of became attached the the guy already

thanks