Stocking question

hogs

I have a 72 bow and it's fish only. It's cycling right now. No live rock with about a 2 inch live sand bed. I wanted to know about stocking options and if I'll have any problems with these choices before I take the plunge. Will these fish get along with eachother? Will any grow too large for the tank size? What order should they be introduced (only 1 a week. I figure the Wrasse will be last)?
Kole Yellow Eyed Tang
Red Coris or Lunare Wrasse
Flame Angel
Pearlscale or Dot Dash Butterfly
Royal Gramma
Rainford's Goby or Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
Do I have any more room? Maybe a Fame or Longnose Hawkfish or a Saddle Valentini Puffer?
Thanks!

trigger11

Hopefully I will be a little help for your questions. You may get more responses over in the Fish Section on these forums if you ask the question there.
Part of your stocking question will be determined by if you are going with a Fish only tank or if you are looking to go for a reef tank.
If staying fish only I think most of the fish you listed would be ok. In many peoples opinion the Kole tang would like to be in a 125g or larger tank. However, out of all the tangs the Kole is the one that grows the least in size so a 72g might be ok. I am thinking it probably depends on how much other livestock is in there with it would be the main determining factor. But I could be wrong.
I am thinking the Butterfly probably wouldnt work. They do like larger tanks. Also, if you do decide to end up going with a reef tank the butterfly will not be reef safe.
You should be able to go with a hawkfish of some kind. Keep in mind they like to eat inverts. So you would have to be real careful with your cleanup crew. If the hermit crab can fit in the hawks mouth it will likely eat it.
Welcome to the boards.

gmford1979

the first thing you need in your tank is some live rock. even if its going to be fish only, you need some rockwork. fish need a place to hide out on occations.

hogs

I was thinking about getting SOME live rock to help with biological factors only. I just didn't want to screw up the cycle. I do have plenty of dead rock and dead coral with plenty of hiding places already. Here's a pic but I did add some rock more since this pic.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...Picture057.jpg
Thanks for the imput.
the first thing you need in your tank is some live rock. even if its going to be fish only, you need some rockwork. fish need a place to hide out on occations.

hogs

Fish only.
Part of your stocking question will be determined by if you are going with a Fish only tank or if you are looking to go for a reef tank.
I really love Tangs and I know that most grow way too large. That's the reason why I went with the Kole.
If staying fish only I think most of the fish you listed would be ok. In many peoples opinion the Kole tang would like to be in a 125g or larger tank. However, out of all the tangs the Kole is the one that grows the least in size so a 72g might be ok. I am thinking it probably depends on how much other livestock is in there with it would be the main determining factor. But I could be wrong.
OK, Butterflies are out. I know that they are a little harder to care for so that's ok by me.
I am thinking the Butterfly probably wouldnt work. They do like larger tanks. Also, if you do decide to end up going with a reef tank the butterfly will not be reef safe.
I'll keep that in mind.
You should be able to go with a hawkfish of some kind. Keep in mind they like to eat inverts. So you would have to be real careful with your cleanup crew. If the hermit crab can fit in the hawks mouth it will likely eat it.
Thanks!
Welcome to the boards.

mmikej24

My experience with Tangs is that they can be territorial. I would add the Tang last or at least add them all at once so they dont fight over territory.