Stockman vs. Durso Standpipe

troyrb

I just got a 54g all-glass aquariums that came with a standpipe kit. It is pretty noisy. Would it be better to replace my current standpipe with a Stockman standpipe or Durso standpipe? Below is a picture of the current stand pipe kit that I have in my tank.

redxlch

Actually what you have now looks like a durso. It appears to have an air control inlet on the top.
If the illustration is correct, I can see why noise would be coming from the return pipe if it is that far above the water line.

troyrb

No the return pipe is not that high above the water. It is flexible tubing and it is in the water. The noise is coming from the standpipe. I though the one I had may have been a durso but wasn't sure if it was the same thing. Would a Stockman pipe be less noisy?

redxlch

What about the air adjustment, is that what the

[hr]
is on the top? From my experience, and I used them both, the durso and stockman are about the same as far as noise. You can get a little more flow through the durso.

troyrb

The noise is a flushing noise like a toilet. I was thinking about drilling a larger hole in the top of the standpipe. Currently there is about 1/8" hole that is in the top of the pipe. I'm using hard PVC pipe to drain into the sump below the stand pipe with some L's. Would these sharp turns in the pipe be causing the noise? Here is a picture of my overflow drain.

jond

I would recomend replacing that section of overflow piping w/ spa flex hose and get rid of the ball valve. (I don't see why you would want/need to restrict your overflow.) Then expirement with different size air holes. If the top of your durso uses a pvc cap, just buy several (very cheap) and drill differnt size holes. There is no need to glue them on and just try them until you get the right one.
By your noise description, I would suspect it is not getting enough air. The hole also needs to be cleaned from time to time.

redxlch

Originally posted by jond
I would recomend replacing that section of overflow piping w/ spa flex hose and get rid of the ball valve.
By your noise description, I would suspect it is not getting enough air. The hole also needs to be cleaned from time to time.

:yes: