stonefish help

hammerhed7

nice scorpion, they are very similar to lionfish as far as feeding requirements and selecting tank mates. They also get fairly large, I had one that was about 10".

salt life

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/3009018
nice scorpion, they are very similar to lionfish as far as feeding requirements and selecting tank mates. They also get fairly large, I had one that was about 10".
thanks, I was able to measure it yesterday and he is 7inches. When should I try to feed him, give him another day or two?

S

smartorl

I caught one at Sebastian Inlet that swallowed the hook and I thought would just die so I gave it a go and he was the coolest fish ever! I was able to get him to eat live ghost shrimp then was able to wean him to frozen or fresh. They are a garbage disposal with fins! We named ours Dirty Cottonball, gotta love kids ;). Their mouths are ALOT bigger than they look, which I found out after DC opened wide and ate a rather large unsuspecting tang. Good luck with him. Mine took about four days to eat, but once he started, he was unstoppable. He grew rather quickly and I traded him to someone with a much larger tank. A blue ring would make an excellent companion :0.

salt life

Originally Posted by smartorl
http:///forum/post/3010506
I caught one at Sebastian Inlet that swallowed the hook and I thought would just die so I gave it a go and he was the coolest fish ever! I was able to get him to eat live ghost shrimp then was able to wean him to frozen or fresh. They are a garbage disposal with fins! We named ours Dirty Cottonball, gotta love kids ;). Their mouths are ALOT bigger than they look, which I found out after DC opened wide and ate a rather large unsuspecting tang. Good luck with him. Mine took about four days to eat, but once he started, he was unstoppable. He grew rather quickly and I traded him to someone with a much larger tank. A blue ring would make an excellent companion :0.
thanks for the advice

already have a blue ring on order and will be here thursday, should go great with my eels

salt life

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3010521
hahahahaha.

Feed him damsels. When I see my eel eat one Its awesome.
yeah my spotted moray ate a clownfish a while back, pretty cool even though I saw nemo being swallowed whole

hammerhed7

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/3009091
thanks, I was able to measure it yesterday and he is 7inches. When should I try to feed him, give him another day or two?
They will usually eat anything anytime, I fed mine every three days along with my lions. A variety of silversides, squid, scallops, shrimp etc.

harlequin

Thats a toadfish, not a stonefish. Thats a good thing though, it wont kill you if you arent paying attention while cleaning the tank. I am pretty sure there are no stonefish on the east coast, I believe they are Pacific normally. I used to catch those off my dock all the time and kept some in temporary tanks alot. They like live shrimp, so if you still have access to the water, go catch some grass shrimp and let them run around in there with it.
Please tell me you guys are joking about the blue rings....

deejeff442

i was watching exotic foods yesterday (think thats the name of the show)
the guy goes around the world eating some awefull stuff.
he was in japan and they had a stone fish.
they said if it just barely pricks you ,you will be in the hospital a few days and if it sticks you good your dead.
after that they took some scissors and cut off the spines and sliced it up and ate it raw.
also ate tuna eyeballs and live eel.
think i'll stick with mexican food around here.
i love sushi but that was a little extreme for me.

harlequin

I am with you on that one. One of my professors in college was a PHD in Ichtheology and on one of his trips in the Pacific they were dragging nets along the bottom and pulled one of these up and when they dumped the net one flipped out and spiked one of the sailors. The only reason the sailor survived was because they recognized immediately what had happened and the captain was boiling water to make some tea. It was a quick decision that tissue damage was preferable to death and they shoved the guys hand in the boiling water neutralizing the venom before the venom had a chance to go further. The guy survived, I am sure his hand was screwed up though. Once stung you have about 10 minutes to live appearently.