Stop buying/killing Anenomes!

piscesblue

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but there have been 4or 5 different people with pics of dying anenomes in the past week. These pictures are making me sick and making everything conservationist say about our hobby true! Stop buying anenomes unless you know what you are doing. If you've had a tank for 2 months, don't buy one! Sorry guys, I made the mistake on my first tank of buying an anenome after 3 months, but it sure suffered until I got a grasp on what i was doing. Thank god it didn't die and I was able to take it back to the store after 6 months. I wish that those cute pictures of clowns in their host anenome didn't make so many people want one. Thanks for letting me vent. :(

luke

I have to agree. Anemones require certain things that 99% of people's tanks don't meet, nor do they want to meet. Although, as sad as it is to see dieing anemones, some poelpe will have them die even when their requirements are met. That is the price. BUT for those people who put them in tanks with one 15 watt power glo and a RIO 2500 with no screen over the intake, then wonder why the anemone walked all over the place and finally got chopped up, it is really sad.
Luke

fshhub

i agree, anemones really should be left in the wils, someone poste that we will never see one live 100 yers in an aquarium , well
NO S#!^, we won't, even if we could(we would not live ling enoughto prove either way) , but i feel that 1 or 3 or less years is not even a good start, adn many of the early deaths are to those, as you mentioned, are due to inexperience, but they still should live much longer than 6 to 10 months(which is where most of them die), i know, i know soeone is gonna say: well i had mine almost a year, or almost 2 and a few will even say almost 3, but please if you cannot offer more htan 5, you are only adding to my statement(and yes i know of one 13 yrs old, and personally can walk in and take a pic of one at almost 8 yrs, but those are 2 of the rarest cases any can find)
i realize many will try anyhow, and i would like to, but please make sure you know 1000% what you are doing before buying one, and not well i had fw for -- yrs,and salt for6 months, this isn't so difficult, they are the most delicate of creatures we want for our tanks
thanks for letting me vent with you

Why is it that the Anenomes seem to die so easily?
I have three and have not had a problem.
This board has got me so paranoid over my anemones
and since I never had a problem with them in 2 years I never used to worry about them!!

luke

The real question Deuce, is what species of anemones do you have??? Abd what are their conditions?? It is likely you are keeping easy to keep anemones with proper condtions (both are very good things)
Luke

fshhub

like i said, some and VERY FEW reefers have success(or at least much better luck than others), and some are easier to keep than others, but if we could answer that question, one of us woudl either be a hero and or very rich, but in time, i am sure we will find out the reasoning, for their degree of difficulty(for sure, i hear many theories, but none of them proven to be 100% yet)
and
without taking this the wrong way, i am being serious
CONGRATULATIONS, you are one of the few

Mine are
1 florida condi
and 2 purple long tenticle
And I dont dissagree with you but it is not ever going to end.
1. Everybody loves the clowns and anemones
2. A lot of books you read do not really say that they are hard to keep!!!!
I have read a few books but before I came to this website and I did not know there was such a huge problem with them !

jamesp

Deuce -- FYI, you can edit your post. Just click on the little icon with the pencil and paper.
Cheers!

coralfishg

I know you guys are getting on all of us new reefers but, i have a question anyway's. I have 3 aneneme's. one green carpet, and two flowers. the green carpet is doing wounderful, when fully expanded it reaches about 6 inches across, and has a tomato clown as a companion. the flower anenmes were doing wounderful before I added my new light's, but now they hardely ever fully expand...FYI i have had the light's now for about 2 months. what could be the cause of this. :p

fshhub

not getting on anybody, just trying to make people aware of the facts that mosta re not aware of
i probably cannot help alot, but how old is the tank, what are ALL your water parameters, what lights are you using(type, watts, kelvin adn so on), what and how often and how do you feed your anemones, and how long have you had them, also what fish and inverts do you have??
we will try to help, i fwe can

coralfishg

Thanks for responding to my post. My tank has been set up for about 7 months. About 2 months ago I added my light's, power compacts, 4-55w german bulbs, 7100k white, and actinic blue. I'm not shure of the kalvin on the actinic blue. As for the peramiters, amonia-0, nitrite-0, PH-8.2, and nitrate-**20-30**. I talked to my lfs, and he told me I might be going through a mini cycle, I don't know if that is right, I don't see how that can be happening. I feed the anenemes. 2 a week, I give them one piece of krill each, My brittle star also goes crazy when I give it to him, He loves it :p I just place it on the tip of there tenticles, and they do the rest, I have not been able to git one of the flowers to eat in 2 week's, and he looks the worst. I have had them for about 6 months. As for corals, I have some sun pulps, toadstool leather, cabbige leather, some shrooms, and a sea apple that has trippled his size. As for fish, unfortunatly right now I am batteling marine velvet. I have alreay lost a sweetlips clown (grunt) a maderin fish, and a yellow tailed damsel. I still have a yellow tang, clown tang, blue devel, yellow tailed damsel, tomato clown, and domino damsel, that used to use the flower anenome that is doing the worst as a host. I hope all this has helped, and I didin't mean to bore you with my long post. thanks in advance for any help :D

fishman1

I have a sebae that I have had for right at 7years and is quiet large .The big problem with an anenome is that often they are mistreated by the source and by the LFs and then they are not aclamated properly from what I read on this site . And most of you can not keep your hands out of tank. Put what ever you by in your tank and leave it be for awile . When you buy a fish, coral, or anenome they do strange things because think are new. Most of you do not read about the thinks you buy. You buy it because it's cool or a friend has one. Read save money and save your animals. I sure killed my share but alot. I did some reading.I know who died and made me god I did. YOURS TRUELY FISHMAN1. Sorry about the spelling. :D

ky

I have 11 different ones in my 3 tanks. Two of them I have had for 6 years. I waited until I was very comfortable with the hobby before I bought one. If you are still experimenting with different things to perfect your water conditions, don't get one. If you are usure about your lights, don't get one. Make sure when you get one that you know what lighting conditions and water conditions (flow) each one prefers. It isn't rocket science and not many of us are pro's, but common sense goes a long way.

adrian

The problem is not many new reefers research the needs of anemones before they buy them, and most LFS could care less so they dont tell the customer up front, that is if the LFS even knows what it takes to keep most anemones alive. Of course as mentioned above it depends on what type of anemone is in question, anemones like the condis and flower anmemones are pretty fool proof, where as the host anemones can be very difficult to keep. Read, read, read, and read some more ;) Of course this goes for any living creature, not just anemones ;)

wrassecal

Well having an lfs assure me that the white bubble anemone he sold me for my tom clown would be fine is how I found this board in the first place. My book didn't help me at all. I came running to the internet. This place is great in helping me, especially Adrian on the anenome. Problem is no matter how much you read until y ou get in a place like this where people share their experiences (good and bad) you are just going to make some stupid mistakes. My stupid mistake (so far) is still alive but I'm not holding out much hope and it really makes me sad.

josh

Hi,
I agree with you all, I just got my first one last month and I have had my reef up for almost 5 years now. To be honest, it has taken me that long to learn about them and feel comfortable enough to buy one. A month later he (sebae) is doing well, I feed him and the tentacles are very plump and he has seemed to finally settle down where he likes it in the tank. The hardest part, as many of you know, if acclimating the little guys. If anyone of you are debating getting one, just read read read and talk to folks who have keep them for some time, that was the way I learned most of what I know about keeping them. Just like anything, gain as much experience from others so you can avoid common mistakes and killing the animals.
Now for my question, I only have one fish.. a tomato... and the two won't haven't anything to do with eachother? any suggestions? "sigh"
-Josh-

fishman1

It went throught the same thing . I sayed to my self it's not going to happen one moring when the lights came on he had made him self at home. Some times if you offer him or her food close to it might help. GOOD LUCK TO ALL. :D