stopping the splash of the in sump skimmer outlet!

danrw84

anyone?
it falls out about 4-6 inches and hits the water is anoying. I just tried slicing a flat tube and putting it on but it doesnt do much.
also set it up against the glass to let it run down ...still...no good!
any ideas?

jester

I run 1/2 in tubing from the outlets to the side about an inch from the water surface. It helped me.
I cant post a pic, but I can email it to you if you want.

danrw84

sure. post the pic or email to danrw84@cox.net
why dont you go all the way into the water? is that not good? u said its about 1 inch or so?
I am going to be using the prizm...any suggestion?
i attached a small RIO 200 to a tube connected to the prizm intake to assist it in pumping the water up an additional 5 inches or so......now i need to get a valve on the rio to adjust it and it will be perfect, i hope. but the waterfall coming out is noisy!
thanks

hairtrigger

Can you fill the sump up with more water? That's one of the benefits to keeping my sump so full, keeps the skimmer output quiet. Leaves just enough room in case of power outtage too. I had that kind of problem with my overflow hose, but then I put it below the waterline. To take care of escaping air, I just punched holes in it above the waterline. You may be able to do something similar with your skimmer return. :cool:

danrw84

im not to sure how full i should do the sump. I dont want a flood!!!
what do u think about my prizm mod? is it going to work or is there something better?
anyway, yeah i dont want a flood, i dont know how full to do it, not sure where to position my return pump either...so once it pumps a certain amount out it wont pump any more, (power outage, restart and overflow doesnt.)
i havent hooked the sump the the display yet, waiting on capn petes overflow.

gregzbobo

easiest way to figure out sump capacity is to get your overflow installed and working, then just fill the tank up, shut the main pump off, and keep pouring water slowly into the tank so it drains into the sump to within about 2 inches of the top. Once it gets to that point, wait a while and be certain its not getting any higher, then turn your main pump back on and let it run a few minutes to get your sump to its operating level, and put a mark where that level is. Then you know exactly when to topoff with freshwater because of the handy dandy mark, and you will have that much added head pressure on the intake side of the main pump to help it along. Plus the extra gallonage of system capacity is of course a good thing.

gregzbobo

One more thing, you will of course after you set your sump capacity where you want it, need to remove water to add rock, sand, and whatever else in the tank, since that displaces water. Another thing, if your overflow loses siphon when you shut the pump off, no worries, just make sure the tank is full as you can get it without it flooding over, then add water directly to the sump till its 1 or 2 inches from the top.

splash1914

I use a rectangle foam filter block...... I put the foam block under the exit tube of the skimmer.. no bubbles or noise... I no longer have the skimmer in the pics..