Storage of a Tank

nightraven

How long can I safely store a glass tank (All-Glass Brand) and not worry about whther the seals are going to be ok once I get the space to set it up and pull it out of Storage.
My storage unit is not a climate controlled unit. I currently have a 125 Gal Reef Ready All-Glass Aquarium and I need the space it is taking up in my closet.
I am moving to Las-Vegas in 6 months and it would be foolish to try and set it up now so I will not be setting it up until I get somewhere permanent in Las Vegas.

enomadra

Sorry to cut in on this post. But am in the same boat so to speak I have a 135 reef tank that is all glass and I am storing. Any tips or suggestion on how long is safe would be great.:jumping:

fender

The tank I am using now is an all glass that is about 12 years old. For about 1/2 of it's life it was stored in my sister-in-laws dilapidated garage where it was subject to most of the elements.
The only thing I did to it was clean it and fix a leak from where my nephew made a cut in the silicon.
So IME as long as they are kept out of the sunlight (I think it may have bad effects on silicon - but I could be wrong) you can store them for however long you want with no issues.

cprdnick

If you are truely worried about it, you could find a substance, like vaseline, to spread over the seals while it's in storage. I'm not sure how safe this is for the future inhabitants or if it'll even make a difference but it was just a suggestion.