Storing Water

joojoo

How many of you have big ol' Rubbermaids that are filled with premade SW? I tried this a while ago, bought a brand new 35 gallon Rubbermaid from Walmart, bigger than my tank! I thought it would be super easy just to fill it one day and have like 10 water changes ready or just SW for an emergency. But a couple days after sitting, it got a white gross film on the water surface and on the surface of the plastic container. I have a powerhead in it, but no heater. Should SW not be stored? Or is something precipitating in my water? Any thoughts?

1fast300zx

Hmm.. I have used rubbermaids to stir saltwater and allow it to mix for 24 hours before adding it to my display. I use Maxi-jet 1200's. My only suggestion would be adding more powerheads and having one aimed at the surface of the water to help mix that film up. I have no idea what could be making that film present.. is it near a shower where evaporated soap water could possible be coming in contact with it?

joojoo

Nope, I keep it in the basement. Maybe I should try 2 power heads. I thought at first maybe I didn't rinse the tub good enough, but I tried again with same results. I keep the lid on it too, so nothing can get in.

1fast300zx

You should be fine then. I would just add more powerheads, I do the same method as you and I have not noticed any film build up. A while back I would have a hang-on filter and then 2 maxi-jet 1200 powerheads inside the 20 gallon long but I stopped using the Hang-on and just the 2 powerheads. My best guess is the film buildup and related to the salt not being fully dissolved. Just aim a powerhead at the surface and you should be fine. Also as far at the temp goes, your going to want it near the same temp as your display, If i remember reading correctly your aquarium isnt very large , so even a 15 to 20 percent water change could cause a large temp drop which would stress your livestock. If you look around a little you can find heaters for super cheap, around 10 to 15 dollars.
Oh yeah one more thing, make sure your adding the water conditioner (de-clor). Hah I know that sounds stupid and is a newby thing to say but I almost forgot once when I was mixing up 20 gallons of saltwater!

hatessushi

Are you using RO water for mixing new water? Also, when you got the container did you clean it with fresh water and vinegar?
If you are using tap water then the only thing you should add to the water before mixing the salt is some kind of dechlorinator. You don't need to add any buffers because in new mix water it can cause a precipitation event.
I keep water mixed all the time and all is a week old before I use it.