storm season is coming. that=possible power outages.

hawkfishman

as you all know, spring is pretty much sprung(at least in my area) and with that comes the chance for severe weather therefore power outages.
here are my concerns regarding this potential issue:
1. how long can the fish survive WITHOUT the power(meaning basically without a filter running)
2. are there any specific backup power supplies that i can look into?
3. are there any measures i can take now to lessen the effect of a power loss?
i do have a generator i can use, but its mainly for essentials like our basements sump pump and the heater in the winter.
thanks in advance for the tips/help

oceana

short term ( meaning a few days or so it is not a big deal at all to not have your lights and filters.
your biggest concern is keeping the water MOVING. some sort of flow must be provided. even a simple battery opperated air pump will work. best bet is a small power head.
as long as you keep it moving you can go quite a few days with little effect. depending on your weather and house temps a heater of some sort may also be needed.

hawkfishman

i think the only time temp would be a factor against the fish would be at night ofc. im just afraid to one day wake up to the power being out for a while and i slept through it.
and are there battery powered power heads?

oceana

Originally Posted by hawkfishman
http:///forum/post/3239471
i think the only time temp would be a factor against the fish would be at night ofc. im just afraid to one day wake up to the power being out for a while and i slept through it.
and are there battery powered power heads?
not that i have seen. i would think if there are they would die down VERY quickly

hawkfishman

i would assume that as well. i guess if push comes to shove i can plug an outlet into my generator then hook up a powerhead to that. shouldnt suck too much power up. in theory.

aquaman

I have 4 battery backups on my 2 TVs and 2 computers, so if a storm comes and the power goes out I have time to turn them off properly. Each of them could run its own item hooked up to it for a minimum of 2.5 hrs, but I would never do that as I do not want to risk damaging them. I figure if needed I could hook each one up as needed to my power heads and run them for about 24 - 36 hrs. My not be super long but it would help.