Storm :(

chadman

Saturday night we lost power due to the ice and wind....i had no back up, couldn't locate a generator in enough time...so everything died....hundreds of stalks of xenia...tons of coral, all my fish except for one clown fish which i got to a friends house in enough time....my tank STINKS!!!!! Power still is not on so i really can't even clean up the mess yet.....

grumpygils

Originally Posted by chadman
Saturday night we lost power due to the ice and wind....i had no back up, couldn't locate a generator in enough time...so everything died....hundreds of stalks of xenia...tons of coral, all my fish except for one clown fish which i got to a friends house in enough time....my tank STINKS!!!!! Power still is not on so i really can't even clean up the mess yet.....
That is really sad! I am so sorry!
Mc

trippkid

Chadman, sorry to hear about your power outage, that is my biggest nightmare, no electricity. I really need to convince my wife we need a generator. We wouldn't be without heat(gas), just no other creature comforts, so the fridge and the tank(just a couple of power heads) to keep things moving inside. Again, this is bad news, I hope you can get things up and going again soon, If you want I could give you some Xenia, I have two kinds, when you are up and running again, If you'd like. You are about an hour or so away, not too far. Good luck
Matt

chadman

Matt....that awsome man...i really appreciate it...i am going to get things up and running in time...i need to find some sort of battery backup or something just enough to run the heater...i think everything would be alright without flow and stuff for a day or two...but it was teh fact that my house got down to like 55 and everything looked frozen...it was a horrid sight!!!

actually the flow is just as important as the temp if not more. need to brake the surface of the water to get oxogen into the water for them.

edfire4

When I first built my fish house to keep all of my discus in, I went ahead and purchased a whole house generator. Not only does it keep my fish house going, it also keeps the rest my home going in case of a power failure. The power has gone off a few times this month and my reef tank, which is in my home never misses a beat.

chadman

i broke everything down and reset it up...made fresh water and all...surprisingly most of my zoanthids made it through the four days without power...also i got some stuff out and into my friends tank the other day so that also is in good shape...so here i go again....thinking about just curing my liverock and then starting a larger tank....also a bunch of my hermits and a few snails made it also...the are troopers!!

volcom69

I lost power from sun 4am till wensday evening i went till monday afternoon and found a generator at lowes and got it back up. I lost one fish the coral were stressed and lost alot of color since i have an almost all sps tank. But ur first concern should always be about water movement and then worry about the temp. Remember fish can live in temp of 70-86 for about 48 hours or so, and i put a solar heating blanket around my tank to help out temp for awhile, but my house dipped down to 53 degrees and my tank went to 63 so i knew i was in trouble and broke down and bought the generator 700 dollars later i still have a tank that lost one fish and didnt kill any corals but took them awhile to recover so good luck let me know if u need anything im about less then a half hour away from u.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by chadman
i broke everything down and reset it up...made fresh water and all...surprisingly most of my zoanthids made it through the four days without power...also i got some stuff out and into my friends tank the other day so that also is in good shape...so here i go again....thinking about just curing my liverock and then starting a larger tank....also a bunch of my hermits and a few snails made it also...the are troopers!!
That is so terrible that you lost most of your stuff, but I am so glad that some lived! Recure your rock, there shouldn't be too much die off. Just to mention, the flow is more important than the temp, should this ever happen again.