Strange blenny behaviour.

stig

I've had a scooter blenny in my tank for about 10 months without any problems.
After adding a 6-line wrasse, the blenny started spending all day hovering about the tank since the wrasse took to ramming it and biting it whenever it was on the rock.
I took the wrasse back to the shop since I figured the blenny needed to be able to hang out on the rocks in order to eat.
It's been over a week and it still spends literally all day hovering high up in the tank. It will come up on one rock to eat brine shrimp but, apart from that, it just hovers.
Any ideas what might be wrong? Isn't this strange behaviour for these fish? None of the other fish bother it and it eats fine but.......well, surely it must be getting tired after all this swimming LOL.
Seriously though, is this normal?

jacrmill

sounds like he learned not to go near the rock. fish arent stupid, if they go somewhere and get something that hurts, and then it happens again and again then they will avoid it. i took intro to psychology and we discussed this. are you familiar with classical conditioning, cause that is exactly what this is. id give him more time. hes just scared. then if nothing happens put your hand in there and scare him to where he has to go near the rock. and do it again and again till he realizes that nothing is going to hurt him anymore.

kappadoku

Must have been very interesting watching a phobia develop right before your eyes...
Jacrmill is now our resident fish psycologist.
:p
"I had a very stressfull childhood, you know being one of two surviving children from a clutch of 5000 eggs takes its toll on a young fish..."
Im actually surprised your 6 line did that. Arnt 6 Line rasses usually a fairly docile fish?
anyway, some smartallick remark to start your day...
[ April 17, 2001: Message edited by: KappaDoku ]

jacrmill

believe me im not a psychologist, just took an intro course. we talked about training animals and thats what happened.

shel

Very funny Kappa. I needed a good laugh at work.
Jacrmill if I have any problems with my fishy's acting funny, I will be lookinng you up. I can see that happening.
Shel :p