Strange Blue Angel behaviour

blueangelc

Hi All,
I have a 29g Fish only tank running for 6 months, fully cycled with
Ammonia 0
Nitrie 0
Nitrate 5 ppm
Ph 8.3 and stable
Currently I have one tomato clown and everything went well...Recently I bought a juvenile Blue Angel fish (1" size). Since I am planning to upgrade to 125g tank in 6 months time and I love raising this beautiful fish from this size, I decide to go ahead trying out this plan.
Upon bringing him home, I then had this Angel quarantined for three weeks and he was very lively, eating and playing actively...The only unusual thing was that I notice his swimming was erratic occasionaly (like charging or bolting forward unexpectedly). I checked all water parameters carefully (including electrical grounding) and everything was normal and I thought it could be due to his shyness (when he saw shadows etc...).
Today I take him to the display tank where the tomato clown is and I notice his behaviour did not change. He is hanging around with the clown (the clown is bit bigger in size) and the clown does not bother him at all... However he is still occasionaly bolting/charging forward which is now staring to stress the clown as he may be startled and probably thinking the Angel starts attacking him... His erratic behaviour looks very unsettling and I am not sure what is wrong with him...The clown behaves normally as always, but a bit stressed out if anything.
Anybody knows what might be wrong with him? Could he suffer from any disease? Other than this, he is normal and eating well... Thanks. :help:

E

exile415

He's stressd out like crazy. A Blue Angel needs A LOT of swimming space,even for a juvi a 29 gallon is way too small and I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think he's gonna live for 6 months. Upgrade soon or return the fish.

scubadoo

Erratic swimming can also be a sign of disease. I fear he will not be happy for too long in your system. Best to return for a credit and wait. Also, they require mature systems of at least 6 months with one year being better and plenty live rock.
In this hobby you need to play the odds...odds are he will not make it to your upgrade...but no absolutes. Play the odds and you and your fish will be happier.