Strange Creture

fish

When I clean my filter that is located in the overflow of my 58 gallon reef ready tank I have noticed small white inverts coming out of the filter. The are small and look like tiny shrimp or fleas. Any ideas of what they are? When I take the filter out I will wait and let them escape back into my tank. I hope I am doing a good thing here.
Fish :D

Are they half moon shaped if so here is some info. I found this under invertebrate pests in my book.
Amphipods
Amphipods are small crustaceans generally found feeding in the detritus at the bottom of an aquarium within the filters, or even on the front glass. They are easily identified as laterlly compressed grey shrimp like creatures, half moon in shape.
Amphipods rarely do any direct damage;however, some species may carry didease which they can pass on to other livestock.They are quite hardy and capable of multiplying into plague proportions when there is enough food, usually privided by an overenthusiastic hobbyist.
THE SOLUTION: An immediate cure is to remove the creatures by syphoning them out of the tank. They will be found under rocks during the daytime and quick action will be necessary to allow for their surprising turn of speed. In the long term, a drastic reduction in the food supply will see a steady decline in numbers until they are barely noticeably. Many fish would enjow copepods as a food if they had access to their hiding places. Regular disturbance of the rockwork may reduce numbers as the fish learn to associate such activity with a potential meal.
Hope this helps.
Adam

broomer5

agree with Sammy !
These creatures are good for your sandbed/substrate, good food for fish, and normally come in on live rock. Just another form of life that helps for a well balanced tank.
Some people actually pay good money for these critters - one of the many mysteries in life as far as I'm concerned LOL :D

fish

Thanks for the replys!!! The members of this board are great!!!
Thank you very much!!!
Fish :D