???Strange KH reading???

vanquish

I just got my first Phosphate KH and Calcium test kits.
The readings for my tank are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5
pH: 8.0
Phosphate: >5 (off the chart)
KH: 180
Ca: 460
Salinity: 1.024
Ok so I know my phosphate is way too high (which I figured since it is the first time I ever tested it.) Im taking steps to correct this as we speak. My Ca is right about where is should be (surprisingly) but my KH seems VERY HIGH. Is this bad? I can’t figure this out. Could the test be defective? I add Iodine and PurpleUp to my system, is it possible that the PurpleUp is over buffering my water? Any help would be great.

zman1

What did you use to measure the dKH with? Are sure that it's not ppm as that would make it 10dKH or 3.6 meq/l. Which is fine...

vanquish

Originally Posted by zman1
What did you use to measure the dKH with? Are sure that it's not ppm as that would make it 10dKH or 3.6 meq/l. Which is fine...
I used the Hagen KH/GH test. The instructions for testing KH were to titrate and multiply the number of drops by 10 which gives a result in units of mg/L. It took me 18 drops, which times 10 equals 180mg/L which I THINK is the same as ppm because that’s what the instructions say. It also says that the ideal range is 105-125, and that anything over 125 is unusually high. 180 seems extraordinarily high to me... I'm thinking faulty test kit, because the box it came in looked a little banged up and stinks of something which could have been returned and resold. I guess my question is: with all my other readings being what they are, is this number in any way logical? Or should I call up and ask for an exchange?

zman1

A balanced Alk for your Ca level of 460 ppm is - 4.95 meq/l - 247.5 ppm - 13.86 dKH
10dKH is not high for this hobby, it's higher than SW . If you believe you have a used or faulty kit I'd return it.

vanquish

Thanks Zman1, you make me feel more confident. I still do not understand your numbers though, my KH reads 180mg/L, but your units are all different. Are you reading from a table or just doing conversions? What are your formulas?
Sorry I'm just really confused...Math was never my strong point

dogstar

ppm and mg/L are the same thing.
There are different units to measure the same thing. Like 4 quarts and 1 gallon, different numbers but still the same amount.
PPM / 50 = meq/l
meq/l X 2.8 = dKh
dKh X 17.9 = ppm or mg/L
The low numbers you kit recomends are for fresh water. is your kit for salt ????

spitfire

I wouldn't worry about the high KH. My tank has an even higher rating (I think that was how it went) and I'm okay.

vanquish

Originally Posted by Dogstar
ppm and mg/L are the same thing.
There are different units to measure the same thing. Like 4 quarts and 1 gallon, different numbers but still the same amount.
PPM / 50 = meq/l
meq/l X 2.8 = dKh
dKh X 17.9 = ppm or mg/L
The low numbers you kit recomends are for fresh water. is your kit for salt ????
Ok I get it now. Just was getting confused by all the different units. Those were the numbers it gave for salt... And yes, it is. The GH is for fresh of course, but the KH is for both.
Ok so as a side note: from what I understand "good" numbers would be the following:
Phosphate 0
Ca 400-450 (what is too high though? anything above 500?)
KH ??? what is the good range here? (if not the lower numbers my test kit offers)
pH 8.0 (this number has never changed in my tank more than +/- 0.1)
I am guessing that because my pH is very stable, and my Ca is in a good place, that the KH is in the ideal range. Is this true?

zman1

"KH ??? what is the good range here? (if not the lower numbers my test kit offers)"
Alk = 2.9 to 5.9 meq/l or 8-14 dKH

M

mlandrigan

What are the effects on fish/inverts of high kH? Mine is 18 dkH.

M

mlandrigan

Well, I added some liquid calcium to my tank over the weekend and that dropped the alk down nicely to 13 dkH