Strawberry Coral?

donna2933

Does anyone know anything about a Strawberry Coral? This is what the pet shop had the item listed as. It looks like a bubble coral and is round but is a medium pink color. I could not find anything in my books that had anything listed as a strawberry coral and I have not see any bubble this color. If anyone knows anything about this item, such as lighting as etc. please let me know. I just bought the item and have not placed it in the aquarium yet.
Thanks!!Strawberry Coral

Is it a singal bubble or a few. Could it be a shrivled up Orange sun coral which is most likely to orange. Is it a hard coral? The red chili coral is a soft coral, if it were to shrivle up it would look like a lump. Giv us more info. I would say put it in the middle hight in moderate water flow and see what happens. Keep it away from other corals in case it is aggressive.
Adam

donna2933

It has several round bubbles on the rock and it feels like rubber. Each bubble has like little bumps on it and is shaped like strawberries. The piece, when touched, is firm,and as I said feels like rubber. I have never seen anything like it. The whole piece is firm when touched and has no tenticles or branches, just several pieces that look like strawberries. The name suits it but I don't know anything about it.
The great mystery for the board to try and help me figure out what I have. Ha
Thanks for any information.

Well I guess it will stay a mistery like I said in the first post put it in moderate current aroun the center in hight of your tank and go from there. I have seen many critters for sale at my lfs and they didn't have there names. Like tha scooter blennie is really a oscillated dragonet (spelling) and the pipe organ that was listed as star polyps :mad: some pet store employees don't know a marine tank from goldfish.
Adam
[ April 18, 2001: Message edited by: Salisbury A D ]

sbustobante

Could it be strawberry anenomes? When they are closed, it's about the size of a sliced strawberry on the rock, and a really pretty bright pink. It would look like a closed anenome if you looked closely (kinda like an outtie belly button.) Each individual anenome is seperate, but they tend to grow very close together, sometimes like a carpet. They are super pretty when open.
If this is it, take it back or don't buy it. It needs cool water, and unless you are keeping a cold or temperate tank, it won't survive.

donna2933

I bought a book by Julian Sprung called Corals and looked up the strawberry coral and what they showed as a strawberry coral is not what I bought at the pet shop. I really think it is a red algae because my yellow tang is eating it. I have found that when my pet shop orders things, that what they have for the name on the item when they receive them, is not really what it is and this is an example of that. Glad I didn't pay a lot for it. Guess the piece will still remain a mystery but I know it IS NOT a strawberry coral.
Thanks