Strawberry grouper????

matrix2316

I had purchased a strawberry grouper from a local pet store and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I have had him now for about 2 months and he has doubled in size. The problem I am having is that he eats about everything I put in there for food. I have two stingrays and a small banded cat shark with him. I thought he would be a great tankmate for them and the would not be able to eat him. My only concern is he is growing faster than them and is getting agressive Toward everything. I am not sure what to do with him?

gasguzzler

What size is the Shark and the Grouper? Sharks grow quick, but the grouper will grow exceptionally quickly...with a large mouth and bad attitude.

matrix2316

The shark just hatched at the end of march. He is around 8" or so already but the grouper is probably around 7" already. The grouper has a new habit of going up to the shark and stingrays and trying to get the food from there mouths. This is along with him eating as much food as I can put in there for him. I have a small panther grouper in another tank I want to put in there with the other fish but he is only around 3"-4" and I am afraid the big grouper will attack him.

gasguzzler

I would have added the smaller panther first, this would have cut dowm the attack probability. The shark thing is a tough call. With both fish being the same size, I almost would say go for it, but watch them closely. Have the quick stick ready to beat the grouper if he acts up and remove him.

bullshark

I have always loved groupers. In the past I had a Strawberry grouper in a 180. Great fish, and yes they do grow quick. I currently have a Honeycomb grouper that used to live with a bamboo shark. The Honeycomb grouper is so quick when feeding, getting every bit of food. Just for the shark to eat was a project. I would have to remove my shirt and place the food directly in front of the sharks mouth so the grouper wouldnt steal it away. I have had the grouper for 4 years and the shark was fairly new, so I gave the shark away.
A good tankmate for the grouper would be a big wrasse, like a Lutacens wrasse or a Lunare wrasse or Harliquin Tusk.
Good Luck
John

matrix2316

I have noticed that my grouper has slowed a bit on growing. Not much just a small break. On the other hand it seams that my catshark has picked up the pace of growing. He is now the same length as the grouper and goes after the grouper when it is feeding time. Paybacks. I may add afew new fish this week but will have to be kinda big to defend themselves against the grouper. The stingrays are growing slowly but doing good. I will try to get pics soon.