Stray voltage issue please help!

espkh9

hey if someone could help me out with a small problem i have id appreciate it.
for the past 3 weeks ive noticed my fingers are getting a small shock everytime they enter the water..i run MH lighting with 2x250 and 4x96 for my 150 reef tank...the fish have been fine and look better than ever all coral and inverts are great. but im wondering why im getting shocked ?? usually i've read stray voltage can cause some tangs to develop HLLE but my fish are looking great and have been for 6 years (i have purple tang blue tang and naso tang 3 clowns,a blackcap basslet,a foxface rabbitfish,scooter belenny,orange and purple firefish,a flame angel,lawnmower blenny,2 reef chromis,niger trigger -very peaceful, all pretty much small. the purple and blue tang and foxface are maybe 3-5 inches the rest round 3 inches or less.)i have sps,lps,softies shrooms, and a huge massive CC with a skunk shrimp and a fire shrimp, a purple urchin,and a bulb anemome) all get along and all are pure no ich or any diseases they simply look fantastic. i put alot of work into the tank feed well and have a great skimmer and wet/dry and do alot of maintaiance im addicted!! lol ...the shock is NOT severe its like a shock small when u touch something in the house etc.. but as you keep ur hand in for a while u feel these vibrations..what should i do are my fish/ reef etc in danger ? the only think i can think of is about 3-4 weeks ago one of the ballasts of one of the MH lights made a popping sound and somehting went wrong i have had these lighst for 3 years never had a problem and i have either hamilton or phoenix 14k lamps my wife was in the kitchen and she was scared as a few sparks went up from the ballast on the floor and then we heard a loud popping noise and smoke a small amount came up the ballasts is shot.. but i still think with my 150 reef i have sufficient lighting for the corals etc...im running now 1 250 mh lamp and 4x96w actinics...everything is going fine just when i wanna fix a coral or two or add some more corals i geta small shock its wierd if i put my arm in i dont feel it but if i just tap at the top of the water i get a tiny shock. does this make any sense ? the whole system is hooked up on 20 amps on its own line i barely use 5 amps.. so plenty..and it only for the fish tank use. the shocks are coming from the right side of the tank where the MH lamp went out...i did a nice water change last night 40 gallons and my param are sal. 1.026,PH- 8.2 ALk,10 DKH, temp,78F,nitrate,0,nitrite 0,Ammonia,0,Calcium 450,Mag 1300,Phosphates 0.
im thinking i shut off the ballast unplugged it but not from the main MH canopy maybe that could have something to do with it.. but im thinking the fish look fine and they swim all over the right side on top all around the reef its nice. am i in danger ? and what do you think would cause this to happen everything is gounded with gfci and with nice surge protecters.if any1 has any knowledege of this or ecperience please share i domnt mind getting a small shock im worried about my fish im gorwn attached to them i lost 1 fish in 6 years. and it was a huge really fat green mandarin that recently died i think from over eating or a sally light foot got him i have no idea the params were perfect...the sally light foots are lighting fast i have 3 and the were like 1/3 inch and niw they are like 3 inches and the aleays take a stab at a tang flying by.anyways sorry to get off topic but i just wanted tog ive all the info so you can sorta get a picture of what i have going on...if anyone has some inut info or anything i would be so appreciative for the help.
thanks so much!

espkh9

ty will do its been almost a month the fish are doing great ? ill still do what it says and check but is that wierd ?
they show no symptoms od stray voltage and look great for almosta month..

espkh9

update i totally disconnected the broken ballast from the main canopy still a bit of shock but on at your finger tip if u put ut finger more thna half an inch theres no shock so im wondering if thats why the fish and the reef is ok or has been for a month.. i will try to do what it says in the post with the link tomo as i have an electrician coming tom installing some a/c. why would it cuz a small shock like 1 mm below at the surface but 1 inch down its all good ? the mh fixture is about 1 foot above the water.

valgae

i wouldn't think it would be your lights. i would check equipment in your water. unplug every thing that is in your water-heater, return pump, skimmer powerheads... then plug them in one by one, testing the water after you plug each one in.

salt210

it might not have an immediate effect on the fish as well. I would test the equipment as well

olemiss

What type of powerheads do you use? Five members of my local reef club were getting stray voltage from there hydor koralias. They did a little research and found there was a recall on certain hydor models. Do you use a ground probe?

salt210

Originally Posted by OleMiss
http:///forum/post/3026986
What type of powerheads do you use? Five members of my local reef club were getting stray voltage from there hydor koralias. They did a little research and found there was a recall on certain hydor models. Do you use a ground probe?
really? I use 3 of them in my tank. where can I find more info on this?

espkh9

i have had a koralyia #3 in 1 tank and #4 in others no problems till now
they were highly recommended but maybe i should take it out ?
what should i do i run a mag 18 in the 150 and mage 12 in the 125 with the hydor koraylia 3 and 4's i need the strong flow for the sps and other corals..maybe it just broke after 3 years ?
i can order and new 1 but ill try unplugging it and see if the shocks stop thanks for the help :)

espkh9

also in the other tanks no stray voltage at all and i use the same PH hydor koralyia 3 and 4's it could be a broken one im dealing with here...

espkh9

all or gfci and ground probs and super surge protectors on sepreate power lines in different parts of the house...

espkh9

just checked them all out unplugged them stil the small shocks its odd though if u stick 2 finger in like1 inch ur ok.. but if u touch the tip of the water u get shocked thats prob why the fiah arent getting hurt just a thought i will do what you guys suggested and test each electrical piece...im touching under the MH fixture and i feel some voltage or shocks from just touching in between the 2 250w mh lightinging i might need a new Mh fixture which i can not afford these days :bump: :bump: does that mean anything ?

olemiss

pulled this from my clubs forum:
Aquarium water pumps recalled
Electrical & Mechanical Services Department
The Electrical & Mechanical Services Department advises consumers to stop using two models of Hydor aquarium water pumps - Koralia 2 and Koralia 3 - for safety reasons.
The production batch numbers of the pumps concerned are 644, 651, 703 and 707. They were supplied to the local market between January and March.
The department acted on a complaint and found the pumps might have an electricity leakage problem, posing a risk of electric shock to users.
The supplier, Johnson Wai Aquarium Supply, is conducting a voluntary recall of the pumps concerned and will place recall notices in newspapers today and tomorrow.
Consumers are advised to return them to the supplier for replacement or refund as soon as possible.
I'll try and find more info, this was from about a year ago.

espkh9

my 3 hydor koralias#3 are from 2006-or 2007 am i ok ?
the number 4 is from a year or 2 ago is that also ok ?

espkh9

also the recall is for danger to humans or for the fish ? thanks, bummer i just wanted to get some more any good same price range alternitaves i like non bulky ones they make the tank ugly...imho i used to have some maxi jets 1200 they were too big now i use them to mix water etc...

espkh9

so i checked everything out it seems like theres a problem with the mag12 the electrictian/plummer is gonna have a look to confirm my findings are accurate but i came to this conclusion using the some testers but what i found odd or not was that the mag 12 pumps up a tube into the pvc thats in the corner overflow then into the tank the tank then gets the water through the overflow and it goes into the chamber sucked in by the pvc pipe that send it to the filter ..(wet/dry) now from the pvc attached to the bottom of the reef ready tank is this grey color flexible tube like same size as pvcjust flexable, and at the end is a pvc elbow then into the wet dry.. if i squeeze the elbow only of the pvc thats in the wet dry i fry my hand its a very very strong shock in fact 1 hour later my hand still shaking..so im just gonna leave everything alone and have my some1 who knows what they are doing , clearly i dont i just got fried...:bump: and hopefully it doesnt get worse and its fixed odd thing is the fosh are fine not one sign of anything all corals inversts params are perfecto ???

espkh9

something is wrong with the return pump mag 12 i think a lose wire which is casuing the stary volatge its been a few weeks now and alot ofthe fish come up to the top when its feeding time if im getting shocked when im not wearing shoes (with shoes theres no shock) why ar e the fish not showing any difference they seem as fine as they were 3-6 years ago ?